New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Contract Expired Today

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rfomlover

rfomlover is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mid 2012 i7 13" MBP & PowerMac G5 2.5 Quad 8GB QFX

So should I get a 3GS or wait till the new iPhone this summer? I dont know. I dont want to get a 3GS and be disappointed when the new one comes out in 2.5 months. So what do you guys think?
QUOTE Thanks
shane82388

shane82388 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.2GHz Mac Book Pro (4GB RAM) - 23" HD Cinema Display - New Wireless Keyboard/Mouse - iPhone

i would wait...thats what im doing...i still have my original iphone...pretty much definitely getting whatever is coming out in the next couple months...cant wait to upgrade from EDGE...etc
QUOTE Thanks
rfomlover

rfomlover is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mid 2012 i7 13" MBP & PowerMac G5 2.5 Quad 8GB QFX

Lol. I guess for u it is a lot harder to have to wait. I have a 3G. Never had an Orig.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I've been eligible for an upgrade for a while now, but I'm definitely holding off until this summer for the fourth generation iPhone. If Apple doesn't deliver something awesome I'm considering a jump to an Android device.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
I've been eligible for an upgrade for a while now, but I'm definitely holding off until this summer for the fourth generation iPhone. If Apple doesn't deliver something awesome I'm considering a jump to an Android device.
I just made the jump to Android (Nexus One) it's really nice, Capacitive touch screen like the iPhone.
I also the like Verizon Droid.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future

Yea, I've been using various Android phones and I really like the OS and hardware. While I like my iPhone, I have some qualms with it (mainly speed, but I don't want to waste an upgrade on the 3GS), but I'm going to give Apple a chance to win my business one more time.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

I just jumped to Verizon for the Moto Droid but I know I'm going to be regretting it when Apple releases the iPhone this summer.

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
james515

james515 is an unknown at this point

my general rule is to always skip 1 generation (maybe 2 generations) of device models. If you have a 3Gs now, you should wait for the 5th generation iphone, unless the 4th generation one REALLY has WAAAYYYYY much more improvement than what you have.

i have a regular 3g, if the 4th gen turn out to be very superior to my 3rd gen then i might get one several months afterwards once real world usage review and test results come in.
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

Quote:
Yea, I've been using various Android phones and I really like the OS and hardware. While I like my iPhone, I have some qualms with it (mainly speed, but I don't want to waste an upgrade on the 3GS), but I'm going to give Apple a chance to win my business one more time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric559 View Post
I just jumped to Verizon for the Moto Droid but I know I'm going to be regretting it when Apple releases the iPhone this summer.
I don't know guys, I can't see Apple doing a major overhaul to the iPhone.
Hopefully I'm wrong but so far hardware wise there haven't been too many improvement compared to other phones.
QUOTE Thanks
Jamie-Jamie

Jamie-Jamie is a jewel in the roughJamie-Jamie is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS

Don't go Android.

My husband has a Motorola Droid and he thinks its great, but... there are just so many little things IMO. Scrolling isn't very smooth from what I've found, and that sluggishness extends to other parts of the system, too.

It's also still really Linuxey. I just made that up... it essentially means... well, it still feels like running Linux on a little tiny screen.

Oh, and it's made by Google. Google = Internet Satan.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Jamie, version 2.1 has included a lot of changes that covers those problems. Multitouch has been enabled, there have been small performance improvements, and more.

As for "feeling Linuxey" that's just nonsense. So you have a few extra options compared to the iPhone, but it's not like you're sitting there typing commands into a console or anything.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Definitely wait for this summer, especially if you can go month-to-month until then. Hopefully the huge jump in other smartphone like android combined with the slowed growth of iPhone sales will result in Apple making some big changes.

Quote:
Ditto on the possible switch. I love the iPhone and have purchased some apps, but not enough to make me stay with it if a competing product looks better. Besides, I can use those purchases on my soon-to-be delivered iPad.

To be honest, in light of the new devices out there the iPhone basic interface is looking pretty dated. The iPhone hasn't been out too long, but in terms of handsets it feels like a lot longer. I think Apple needs to at least refresh the look of the homescreen and incorporate some widgets that periodically update when other apps aren't being used. Also, I have to agree that some multi-tasking and display customization would be nice. Also, AMOLED screen and a good power boost would keep me with Apple another couple of years.

Let's hope that, despite the Nexus One's lackluster sales, Apple is feeling the pinch of competition enough to make some significant improvements over the typical marginal changes that are just enough to keep sales going.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

fleurya, you just completely erased any hesitance I may have had with switching to Android. I was a little worried about not having access to Apple apps anymore, but then you reminded me that I'll still have access to them with my iPad! Now I have absolutely no qualms jumping ship to Android if Apple fails to deliver this summer.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Jamie-Jamie

Jamie-Jamie is a jewel in the roughJamie-Jamie is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS

Quote:
Jamie, version 2.1 has included a lot of changes that covers those problems. Multitouch has been enabled, there have been small performance improvements, and more.

As for "feeling Linuxey" that's just nonsense. So you have a few extra options compared to the iPhone, but it's not like you're sitting there typing commands into a console or anything.
No no... I don't mind a terminal. That's actually kinda nice :p

It's not in the system, but in the apps... a lot of rough edges and things. The same kinds of rough edges I see in desktop Linux apps. Like you say, quite a bit may be fixed in 2.1. I'll hunt up some screenshots and a review around the webs and see!
QUOTE Thanks
Strukt

Strukt will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB

I am telling myself to hold on to my 3GS until Apple stops releasing software updates for it. But if I know myself, this summer I just might have the fourth gen iPhone in my hands and an angry spouse ....

If they come out, of course.

My Blog: Apple Laptops
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Iphone not being recognised by my new macbook pro | Just upgraded from 3g iphone to 3GS »