New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Gen 4 iPhone, what do you think?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bittenapple

bittenapple is on a distinguished road

I was wondering whether everyone agrees that we will see a new iteration of an iPhone this year? If so what kind of features do you expect?

I think it will look very similar to iPad with aluminum back which would prevent finger printing and would look so cool (because I absolutly love black Apple logo on aluminum! ). Also, it probably will have same OS as iPad's.

I think it may get a 5MP camera but I don't think it will have a flash purely because it won't fit the design. Though maybe front camera is a possibility for vid chats.

Thoughts? Do you recon there will be more radical cosmetic changes? And why?
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

More ram and a faster processor and possibly longer battery life and I would love to have the aluminum back.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Well, just so this discussion will be more productive, let's clear up what we mean by "Gen 4".

Do I think Apple will update the iPhone's version of OS X to version 4.0 sometime this year? Yes, I do -- but not before summer, and possibly later.

Do I think Apple will launch a new MODEL of iPhone this year? Possibly, but I'm not as confident about this. Maybe a slightly faster/better version of the 3GS, but beyond that I wouldn't expect much.

Do I think Apple will have an iPhone that is compatible with "fourth generation" cellular services like LTE or the other types that are vying for the title "4G" this year? Absolutely not. We'll be lucky to get that compatibility before summer of 2012 if you ask me.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

This is not an Apple rumour and should be moved into the iphone area of the forum.

And what would want is a phone + sms + no data or internet plan. The main reason I do not own an iphone is the pricing of the iphone plans. Way way to expensive. If they had a pre-paid version where you got credit for the iphone and this credit did phone and sms/mms only. I'm not interested in getting on the net on it. Actually I really want not to do that. And that was affordably priced I'd get one of those phones tomorrow.

So that is what I want in the 4th gen iphone. I'm sure it's not directly to do with Apple but it's what I want.
QUOTE Thanks
SweetCosmicPope

SweetCosmicPope has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5

Sounds like you want to have a cheap cell phone, and then just have an Ipod touch.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetCosmicPope View Post
Sounds like you want to have a cheap cell phone, and then just have an Ipod touch.
Exactly, and an excellent idea. In fact, when my AT&T plan expires in December, my iPhone 3G will become my "Palm Pilot" and my old Motorola RAZR v3 will be getting reactivated on the cheap.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
TWM

TWM is on a distinguished road

No camera flash? HA. Apple really needs to step it up on the next iphone. If you haven't heard, pretty soon a Verizon version of the Nexus one is going to be released soon, and its specks blow the doors off the current iphone. Apple needs to pull out all of the stops on the next one so it will be able to at least compete.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetCosmicPope View Post
Ys but I want the two things in the one device. I don't want to have to be foreced to carry around 2 seperate devices. A touch and a phone.
QUOTE Thanks
bittenapple

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWM View Post
No camera flash? HA. Apple really needs to step it up on the next iphone. If you haven't heard, pretty soon a Verizon version of the Nexus one is going to be released soon, and its specks blow the doors off the current iphone. Apple needs to pull out all of the stops on the next one so it will be able to at least compete.
Apple has gotten away with these kind of things before. I really doubt they care about Nexus One all that much. They know loyal iPhone and Mac users will buy the next iPhone rather than Nexus One or another Android phone.

I am not an iPhone user but I have a gen 1 iPod Touch and I believe the best touch screen experience is provided by Apple so far (I tried so many other phones most of which are Samsung and LG). So, I want my next purchase to be an iPhone. But there is a huge room for improvement like multitasking (at least allow us to have 3 internet pages open at the same time, real time!) and camera quality. I am sort of over the camera thing for I recently bought a Canon camera. But some other things, mainly software side, are very important for me.
QUOTE Thanks
kbOx

kbOx is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Air - 128 GB SSD, 2.13GHz intel duel core, 2GB Ram

The next iphone must look different. I have bought two iphones which look exactly the same now and im not buying another, and id bet a lot of other people feel the same.

Follow me on Twitter for iPhone news: @iph0ne
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

I hope they release the new iphone 4 this year, it will be perfect since my 2 year iphone contract ends this year
QUOTE Thanks
TWM

TWM is on a distinguished road

I think the mass amount of people are going to start getting tired of the dated look of the iPhone. It looks almost exactly the same as when it was released 3 years ago. Side by side against most of the smart phones on the market today, it looks VERY dated.
QUOTE Thanks
bittenapple

Quote:
I think the mass amount of people are going to start getting tired of the dated look of the iPhone. It looks almost exactly the same as when it was released 3 years ago. Side by side against most of the smart phones on the market today, it looks VERY dated.
That's why I was quite shocked and disappointed by iPad's front look. It looks so much like iPhone, though I love the back of it. As I mentioned, aluminum and black apple logo is a killer for me I am sick of metal frame though! I am actually huge fan of the front looks of the 1st gen iPod touch. The black frame>>> shiney chrome!
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
With the phones, as with the computers, it's about the software. Who cares abot Snapdragon or 1ghz chips, if you can't listen to you iTunes music or play Street Fighter II. Any of us could buy an Alienware laptop that would "blow the doors" off the current MacBook Pro. It doesn't matter, it's still running Windows.

In OS 4, I'm hoping for:

- Wireless syncing
- Scheduling of downloads (like NYT or Podcasts)
- Rotation lock (for reading PDFs!)
- Fix the syncing with multiple computers, it's currently awful

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

oops nevermind !

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mobile Me Cal sync to iphone | Anyone ever retrieved deleted messages from their iPhone? »