New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Buy iPhone now, or wait for next model?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macocroft

macocroft is on a distinguished road

I've heard rumours of a major iPhone upgrade within the next 6 months. Is it worth buying an iPhone now, or waiting for the next model?
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

If you need one then get it but i bet mid summer the new one will be available not sure what will be different besides maybe a better camera and processor.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Expect an update by the end of July....

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Major update? like what? what are they possibly going to add to the thing hardware wise? It is a phone after all.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I'm with bobtomay. The iPhone is pretty much done hardware wise ... they'll probably move it to Apple-designed chips in 2011, but I really would not expect a totally new model.

I *do* expect they will roll out a major software update, Jobs frankly said as much at the Town Hall meeting. I would imagine we'll hear more about it at WWDC, or by summer LATEST. I doubt it will require new hardware very, very much.

I think the next major upgrade to the iPhone in terms of hardware isn't coming this year. Apple will likely wait to see who finally achieves dominance in next-gen cell network technology, wait for the market to embrace it, and judge the quality of the experience before jumping in.

Just like they always do.
QUOTE Thanks
Chris_B

Chris_B is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13"

I always think that if you are prepared to wait for the next model to come out, you'll always be waiting as there is always another model round the corner.

2013 MacBook Air 13" / 1.3 GHz Intel Core i5 / 4GB DDR3 RAM / 128 GB SSD / OSX Mavericks 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Major update? like what? what are they possibly going to add to the thing hardware wise? It is a phone after all.
I didn't say that.

I'd expect a bump in capacity (64Gb) to match the iTouch and perhaps some new software with new features (Multi-Tasking etc). I suppose a restyling is possible but updated hardware (CPU etc) is more likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_B View Post
I always think that if you are prepared to wait for the next model to come out, you'll always be waiting as there is always another model round the corner.
Yes and no. If you bother to learn the cycle process, at least for Apple, they are somewhat consistent in updates.

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
I didn't say that.

I'd expect a bump in capacity (64Gb) to match the iTouch and perhaps some new software with new features (Multi-Tasking etc). I suppose a restyling is possible but updated hardware (CPU etc) is more likely.

Yes and no. If you bother to learn the cycle process, at least for Apple, they are somewhat consistent in updates.
Yeah, I concur... I was just referring to some ground breaking thing that would cause someone that needs a new phone now, that would be worth waiting for another 5-6 months.

The current model will do at a minimum the same things it does now, even after the next model is released.

So the bottom line question is, do you need a phone now or 6 months from now?

If a new one was coming out in the next month, then I'd say wait if you could.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
macocroft

macocroft is on a distinguished road

Quote:
So the bottom line question is, do you need a phone now or 6 months from now?
Not so much "need" as "would enjoy owning". I guess I'll wait until the end of Feb for an update. If there's still no news of an update (or there is, and I just don't care about said update), then I'll buy one.

Thanks for the help
QUOTE Thanks
cam-89

cam-89 is on a distinguished road

How about a CDMA version please?
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam-89 View Post
How about a CDMA version please?

That rumor has been going around forever. At this point I will believe it when I see it.
QUOTE Thanks
JUKE179r

JUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: '07 MBP 256GB SSD/6GB RAM/SL <--DAW!!!

Quote:
Major update? like what? what are they possibly going to add to the thing hardware wise?
Add a USB3.0 port. jk....

MBP 3,1 & 4,1 w/ Vertex 4 SSD | Logic Pro 9 | Ableton Live 8 | Traktor Pro 2 | AKAI MPK-49 | Roland MV-8000, TR-808 & TR-909 | Ensoniq ASR-10 | x0xb0x #911 | Denon DN-MC6000 | (3) Technics SL-1200MK1 | 3000+ vinyl records
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

Here is a simple one make the next iPhone open source.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargsbeer View Post
Here is a simple one make the next iPhone open source.
Yes, that's really holding it back from being a big hit.
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Yes, that's really holding it back from being a big hit.
No one said it was holding it back, But it would be nice to have the freedom to do what I want to the iPhone, Without Apple calling me a criminal.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What are your thoughts on MobileMe? | Multiple albums for photos »