New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iphone wifi only works close range!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jdmrolla

jdmrolla is on a distinguished road

I have a iphone 3g 16gb that picks up wifi really really good, like it should, however i recently bought a used 3g 8gb. I unlocked it ( the only way i could afford to have an iphone). The wifi on it works, but only when im about 10-15ft away from the router. This is not just for the router in my house, but at other places too.

I have reset the phone twice and set it up as a new phone and still the same problem. Im running the 3.1 software, not sure if that matters. I heard some of it being a software issue, but could it be an internal issue??? needs new processor? how much does that run??

Could the Apple store help me if i take it there?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Update to the latest version of the iPhone OS for starters..if it's an "internal" issue, you can't do anything about that..

Did you get the phone from someone who hadn't damaged it? Perhaps the WiFi antenna is damaged?

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
jdmrolla

i thought i had the latest. How do i update the OS software? i just update if it says update when i connect to itunes.

The only damage on the phone was cracked screen which i got fixed from a guy on craigslist.

how much do the antennas cost and to replace? estimate

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
jdmrolla

so i saw some of the network antennas on ebay for like 5.00, has anybody seen success from the replacement of the antenna?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

v3.1.2 is the latest version. You can plug the phone in and ask iTunes to check for an update..

I'm not sure what the antenna looks like and how it's routed on the iPhone..and not sure any random antenna would work either..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
jdmrolla

ah yea I have 3.1.2, i didnt know the .2 was important.

this was the antenna i was looking at. IPhone 3G WiFi Network Connector Antenna Flex Cable - eBay (item 200392298297 end time Feb-05-10 03:23:01 PST)
QUOTE Thanks
jdmrolla

Problem solved!!!! Some guy told me that I would have to replace something idk and it would cost 170...yeaa I was like noooo. I was gona sell the phone, then I was out wit my girl. Dropped my phone getting out of my truck and ever since then! Works perfect!

Wifi not workingg? Drop that ishhhh
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Broken Screen | Audio book format »