New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

battery or logicboard?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

motskater

motskater is on a distinguished road

Short version of what im asking: is it possible for the logic board to malfunction due to a violent shock or could it be the battery due to a violent shock?

Story: my iPhone 3gs fell off the back of a car at about 35-40 miles an hour on the freeway, possibly struck by a car, had a rubber case on it, none-the-less, the lcd and digitizer were broken and a few scratches once the case fell off. So i took it all apart. The inside didn't look damaged at all. So i went and got myself a new screen and digitizer. But what i should of checked first was that if i connect the phone to the computer that the computer would see it to let me know that it worked. The phone has been sitting for about a month so i put it on the charger and when i plugged in the screen and digitizer nothing would happen. I took the protective covers off of the logic board to see if there were any loose parts or anything was touching the metal and couldn't find anything that could be shorting it out. Have any suggestions? If its the battery i would be more than happy to replace that for only 15 bucks, but the logic board costs around 350.
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

When you plug it into the computer does iTunes recognize it? If so try restoring with iTunes and see if that works, Sometimes if you take apart the iPhone display assembly,It requires a restore for the Display to work again.

If that doesn't work it most likely the logic board.
QUOTE Thanks
motskater

motskater is on a distinguished road

Nope itunes or computer doesnt recognize it
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

Quote:
Originally Posted by motskater View Post
Nope itunes or computer doesnt recognize it

Your best bet would be to throw it on ebay, You can still probably get a $100 for it broken. It's not worth putting all that time and money into trouble shooting.Most likely the board is shot (Also happens to be the most expensive part)
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by motskater View Post
Story: my iPhone 3gs fell off the back of a car at about 35-40 miles an hour on the freeway, possibly struck by a car, had a rubber case on it, none-the-less, the lcd and digitizer were broken and a few scratches once the case fell off.
To be honest...I think you need to get real here! Your iPhone fell off your car at 35-40 mph, it may have been struck by another car, and everything you've tried so far has not worked.

How damaged would you be if you fell off a car doing 35-40mph?

What do you think the chances are that this is an easy/cheap fix??? You said that you purchased a replacement screen & digitizer (no luck), and when syncing with your computer nothing works.

If the battery costs $15 bucks...sure, give a new one a try & see if it works...it's only $15 more bucks. But $350 for a logic board is not a very wise investment...on top of what you've already spent on the screen, digitizer, and possibly a new battery.

Your best bet is purchase a new iPhone, transfer your AT&T contract to the new phone, and chalk up the rest to experience.

Good luck,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« It just works. | Chicken of the Vnc Remote control Iphone »