New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

If iPhone goes to Verizon in 2010, AT&T still sell 2010 iPhone?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Questionable

Questionable is on a distinguished road

Ok Mods, If this isn't in the right section could you please move it?

Anyway, I've been looking everywhere for this answer. If the iPhone were to end its exclusitivity with at&t, would at&t customers (myself included) be able to purchase the 2010 iPhone set to come out in June or April or whatever? Or will Verizon be the ONLY carrier to sell the iPhone meaning us AT&T customers cannot get the new iPhone?

I am hoping that either the phone stays with AT&T or both carriers sell the iPhone in 2010.

I'm sure this question has been posted many times but I couldn't find it anywhere! Sorry in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

In my opinion it wouldn't make alot of since for apple to stop making the GSM version of the Iphone just to start making a CDMA one. The reason to open up the Iphone to verizon would be to increase market share not to exclude the people who have made it such a success . If anything they would start to produce both types.

Just my thoughts on it
Clay

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

The odds of the iPhone going to Verizon (or any other carrier) in 2010 are pretty slim. You may see Apple expand when they go to 4G and assuming they go with the new hybrid transceivers that are under development, allowing the phone to do both GSM and CDMA (presumably the carrier would set it's phones to one or the other as the customers buy them).

Then again, I could be wrong. It's really anyone's guess.

QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

If another carrier were to get the iPhone I think it would be on multiple US carriers just like overseas.

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric559 View Post
If another carrier were to get the iPhone I think it would be on multiple US carriers just like overseas.
Agreed. The logical second carrier, without having to produce a separate unit, would be T-Mobile. The question is would they be willing to abide by Apples draconian control policies.

QUOTE Thanks
Questionable

Questionable is on a distinguished road

Okay thank you everyone so much for the replies! I wasn't about to risk not being able to use the 2010 iPhone! Haha
QUOTE Thanks
Mac23

Mac23 is on a distinguished road

I'd love for Sprint to nab the iPhone because the only way I'll leave Sprint is if I have to.. Nobody can compete with their plans right now.. But I digress, because I love my Blackberry Tour...
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

A recent rumor has been that Apple and Qualcomm struck a deal for a CDMA only iPhone for the Verizon network.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargsbeer View Post
A recent rumor has been that Apple and Qualcomm struck a deal for a CDMA only iPhone for the Verizon network.
That's not a "recent" rumor. It's been floating around since Apple went exclusively with AT&T.

QUOTE Thanks
david_norman

david_norman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook

But Wednesday, they're reporting that AT&T may lose their exclusivity. I'm rocking a BB Curve on Sprint, and would LOVE to see a CDMA iPhone.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Rumors are just that, rumors. I'll believe it when I see it on the 27th, until then it's just more background noise.

Not sure where the person who wrote that article gets their info, but AT&Ts network SUCKED even before the iPhone. I had a work phone with AT&T and hated it because of the many connectivity issues. So yeah, I had heard lots about AT&Ts problems before I ever bought an iPhone.

QUOTE Thanks
cam-89

cam-89 is on a distinguished road

At this point, it's looking like this is much more than just a rumor now. Quite frankly, I'll be surprised if we DON'T get a Verizon iPhone announcement on Wednesday. Apple to Debut iPhone 4G for Verizon Next Week | CoolTechZone.com

As a Verizon customer who has been lusting after an iPhone for some time now, this is going to be the best thing since sliced bread!
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam-89 View Post
At this point, it's looking like this is much more than just a rumor now. Quite frankly, I'll be surprised if we DON'T get a Verizon iPhone announcement on Wednesday. Apple to Debut iPhone 4G for Verizon Next Week | CoolTechZone.com

As a Verizon customer who has been lusting after an iPhone for some time now, this is going to be the best thing since sliced bread!
At this point, it's STILL just a rumor. This kind of stuff happens every time Apple plans a "Special Announcement". Again, I'l believe it when I see it. Not that I wouldn't like to see it happen but this happens way to often and the odds are that lots of folks could be disappointed when the "big" news isn't that big. My point? don't get your hopes up too high, Apple has a history of disappointing people with things like this and the special announcement could just be the expected update to the MacPro line and nothing else.

Frankly though, I hope I'm wrong...

QUOTE Thanks
Mac23

Mac23 is on a distinguished road

If it does happen, would it be possible to buy the unlocked version and use it on Sprints network?
QUOTE Thanks
cam-89

cam-89 is on a distinguished road

I love rumors! Facts can be so misleading, where rumors, true or false, are often revealing.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhone refuses to sync with iBook G3... | digitizer replacement, then screen issues, then fried logic board? »