New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

moisture sensors issue for iPhone 3GS?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ADK Titan

ADK Titan is on a distinguished road

Hello all,
As I was researching the Iphone 3Gs, I ran across some accounts of users moisture sensors being effected by controls outside of their own actions (i.e, they did nothing unusual, like drop them in water, keep it out in the rain), thus either voiding warranty or messing up the phone.
My most important question is, Does this ('this' meaning moisture sensors go off without provocation) happen often? Is it something I should be concerned about?
Should I not run with my iPhone as sweat might make this happen? I run/bike with my 2gb iPod 3-4 times a week and have for years and have had no issues whatsoever. I was hoping the iPhone would be the same. Please leave comments on your experience regarding the above. Cheers and thanks.
Mountain
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

I am a contractor and my iphone is always in my pocket,in the summer (both since the iphone came out) it is not uncommon to pull my phone out of my soaking wet pocket or have it covered in sweat during a call. I have never had a problem nor have I heard of the one you have posted.

Hope it helps
Clay

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks
ADK Titan

Thanks Clay, I figure with 38 views on the thread so far and no other replies, it is not an issue of concern. Much appreciated, and if anyone else has experience with this, please feel free to comment.

M
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

I know a guy who left his n the bathroom counter while he took a hot shower and the steam was enough to turn the water sensor pink, Luckily there was no damage to the phone.
QUOTE Thanks
ADK Titan

Thanks bargsbeer, those are more of the kind of stories I have read as well. Almost more like carelessness by the user then actual issues with design, etc. I have not seen enough solid issues of the kind to back me off the iPhone.
QUOTE Thanks
m009

m009 is on a distinguished road

I've had two phones' sensors go bad - both of which never touched water, at Apple I was told they're super sensitive and they're placed in really open places like at the dock at the bottom and in the headphone jack, neither phone had an issue but the warranties did in fact get voided. I would recommend what I did which is get the dock and headphone protectors which are basically plugs that go into the slots to avoid any possible damage that could be done.. Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to remove screen protector residue? | HELP!!! I need to back up a disabled iPhone... (details inside) »