Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Oct 11, 2008
    Posts
    112
    How can i transfer iTunes from MacBook to new iMac?
    Hey guys,i just bought a new iMac and i would like to know how can i transfer my whole itunes from my MacBook Pro to the new iMac,i'm not transferring many songs,my main interest is all apps from iphone,also contact,photos,basically i need to get all my iphone info to the new iMac,can anybody help on this?

  2. #2

    louishen's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 22, 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,968
    Specs:
    Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
    Probably easiest to use migration assistant and networking the two computers

    Migration Assistant - Use Migration Assistant to Copy Data from a Previous Version of OS X
    Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system

  3. #3

    IWT's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2009
    Location
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Posts
    1,716
    Specs:
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, El Capitan, 10.11.6
    If it's JUST iTunes, then I agree Migration Asst. is the way. You can, of course, backup your MacBook on to any EHD via the Time Machine and then transfer everything from one to the other. Ian

  4. #4


    Member Since
    Oct 11, 2008
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by louishen View Post
    Probably easiest to use migration assistant and networking the two computers

    Migration Assistant - Use Migration Assistant to Copy Data from a Previous Version of OS X
    Thanks for that info,i want to know if this is only for music trsnsfer or will transfer my apps as well,about contacts and other stuff like picture,text messages,they only show when i plug my iphone to iTunes,should i use Phoneview to transfer this to iTunes?

  5. #5

    louishen's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 22, 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,968
    Specs:
    Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
    It will transfer apps, files, settings, or even your entire User folder if you wish
    Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system

  6. #6


    Member Since
    Oct 11, 2008
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by louishen View Post
    It will transfer apps, files, settings, or even your entire User folder if you wish
    Doing migration wireless takes like 5 hrs,I got 15 Gb to transfer,I will post when I finished if all was good.. Thanks

  7. #7


    Member Since
    Oct 11, 2008
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by louishen View Post
    It will transfer apps, files, settings, or even your entire User folder if you wish
    Well guys,I did it throw wireless and took 5 hrs.. Now I can't find in my iMac the files I transfered.. Can somebody tell me where is my iTunes files please?

  8. #8

    IWT's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2009
    Location
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Posts
    1,716
    Specs:
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, El Capitan, 10.11.6
    Well. Like loishen and I both suggested, use the Time Machine backup and transfer absolutely everything to your new computer exactly as it appeared on your last one. And don't do it wirelessly, use a Firewire connection (preferably 800, 400 okay) and it will transfer ALL in about one hour, possibly a lot less. Your new computer will look and behave exactly like your former one, down to the last detail. Wireless is really slow in comparison to a Firewire direct connection whether you use Migration Asst. or transfer everything. I've had occasion to transfer 2+ years of accumulated use from one Mac to another 2 or 3 times, always via Firewire and it has never exceeded 70 minutes - most recently with Snow Leopard, it was 55 minutes.

    If I were you, I would boot your new Mac via the OS DVD, then transfer everything via Firewire from your backup. It will overwrite what you've already done, but in no time at all & leave you all your apps, folders, iTunes, programs etc, etc. Ian

  9. #9


    Member Since
    Oct 11, 2008
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    Well. Like loishen and I both suggested, use the Time Machine backup and transfer absolutely everything to your new computer exactly as it appeared on your last one. And don't do it wirelessly, use a Firewire connection (preferably 800, 400 okay) and it will transfer ALL in about one hour, possibly a lot less. Your new computer will look and behave exactly like your former one, down to the last detail. Wireless is really slow in comparison to a Firewire direct connection whether you use Migration Asst. or transfer everything. I've had occasion to transfer 2+ years of accumulated use from one Mac to another 2 or 3 times, always via Firewire and it has never exceeded 70 minutes - most recently with Snow Leopard, it was 55 minutes.

    If I were you, I would boot your new Mac via the OS DVD, then transfer everything via Firewire from your backup. It will overwrite what you've already done, but in no time at all & leave you all your apps, folders, iTunes, programs etc, etc. Ian
    As I said,I'm only transfering iTunes from my MacBook Pro to my new iMac,I'm leaving the rest in my MacBook

  10. #10

    chrisdf's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 19, 2009
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    13
    Specs:
    iMac 21.5" 2.7 Ghz Quad Core . MacBook Pro 17" . AppleTV 2 . iPhone 4S . iPad 2 3G . AppleTV 2
    I thought all you had to do was "authorize" your new iMac to be able to access your iTunes. Can't you authorize up to 5 Mac's/PC's to be able to access your iTunes?

  11. #11


    Member Since
    Feb 20, 2010
    Posts
    1
    Unfortunately, I know where the files that you transferred are. I recently did the same thing and realized that the files ended up in a different user account. Therefore, you have to logout of your account and log-on to the one that you unintentionally transferred. Your files are there. If you can figure how to get them onto your other account please let me know. I need help with that.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Transfer itunes purchase from MBA to iMac
    By nickyr in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-18-2015, 08:22 PM
  2. Transfer itunes library from imac to ipad mini
    By islandteacher in forum iPad Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-18-2015, 12:27 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-09-2009, 05:43 PM
  4. iTunes, best way to transfer to iMac
    By zacRWE in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-12-2008, 10:47 AM
  5. iTunes Transfer from PC - Macbook?
    By Kav Ky in forum iPod Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-16-2007, 02:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •