New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone 3GS battery life

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TWM

TWM is on a distinguished road

I was getting ready to go and check out what would be involved with switching to an iphone, but after reading apples support forums, there is a thread with over 120 PAGES of people complaining about ridiculous battery life, even after getting replacement phones.... Any one here experienced this? After reading it, it pretty much made up my mind!
QUOTE Thanks
Kevin6432

Kevin6432 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.2 2GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWM View Post
I was getting ready to go and check out what would be involved with switching to an iphone, but after reading apples support forums, there is a thread with over 120 PAGES of people complaining about ridiculous battery life, even after getting replacement phones.... Any one here experienced this? After reading it, it pretty much made up my mind!
I have a 3G, so I can't offer too much insight, but I will say this..

Battery life is HUGELY dependent on how you use the device. If you are on it all day, sending like 50 texts and on the internet all the time, using wifi and bluetooth, then you probably won't make it through the day. But if you use it like a normal person, like checking the news once or twice on the internet, send a 10 or 15 texts, and spend about an hour on the phone, then you will be absolutely ok. If you are that worried, then grab a car charger and use it when you are in your car, and that will help out.

Hope this helps...

15 inch MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo w/ 3GB ram and 160GB 7200 RPM HDD.
Apple OS-X Snow Leopard / Boot Camp - Windows XP
QUOTE Thanks
podraig

podraig will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 4gig,Mac OS X Maverick, Macbook Intel 2gig, iPhone 3G

and making sure you dont have 3g turned on all of the time helps too, my battery last 48-56 hrs, even playing music in the car all of the time

Mac is like a car, keep clean and up to date and it will give you many hours of good driving
QUOTE Thanks
TWM

so youd you say yours lasts about the same time as a comparable blackberry or something similar when using it the same amount? And thanks fir the reply by the way!!!
reading peoples issues, the battery life went to heck once they upgraded to 3.1, an wasn't resolved with 3.1.1 or 3.1.2...

some people on the website are claiming only a couple hours talk time and the battery is shot...
QUOTE Thanks
podraig

Mac Specs: iMac 20" 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 4gig,Mac OS X Maverick, Macbook Intel 2gig, iPhone 3G

thats not my experience, I believe having 3g on all of the time unnecessarily is the biggest hog of battery life

Mac is like a car, keep clean and up to date and it will give you many hours of good driving
QUOTE Thanks
TWM

and if 3g is off, EDGE is on (2g)? So you just turn 3g on when browsing the internet and such...
QUOTE Thanks
podraig

you got it!

QUOTE Thanks
TWM

thank you for your help! I really appreciate it!

Any others care to chime in?
QUOTE Thanks
ZorroAMG

ZorroAMG is a jewel in the roughZorroAMG is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: | '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |

I am a moderate surfer/data user, text a TON and use twitter lots and my 3GS lasts the day. That being said, spend an hour on a game on any phone and the battery goes rather fast.

120 pages!!1!1! Don't listen to a couple hundred dorks that use their phones entirely too much haha, get the 3GS, you'll LOVE it.

QUOTE Thanks
TWM

Ha ha. alright. do you leave your 3g on all day?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

My phone is used 80% as a phone, 10% as a camera and 10% other. Both bluetooth and 3g have been on at all times. My battery lasts 2 1/2 - 3 days on average. (I was still getting 6 days on the original iPhone when I got this one.)

Really depends what you're doing with it. I do no texting at all. Gaming, have a few but pretty rare. May do a little browsing when I'm away from a computer, that's rare also. Hardly ever purchase anything without checking online prices any more. My personal phone use may be 5-10 calls a day - total monthly call time has yet to exceed 6 hours a month in 2 1/2 years with my wife and I sharing minutes.

podraig, thanks. never considered turning off 3g. It's done now. The 3g is not as good here as the 2g network.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
TWM

And at&T has a 30 day try out deal right? i need to figure out how the coverage will be around here. I just want to make sure the battery life is close to that of a Blackberry or Droid... something like that.
QUOTE Thanks
ZorroAMG

ZorroAMG is a jewel in the roughZorroAMG is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: | '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |

3GS, not 3G. Just get one, the amount of threads you've started is a little annoying

QUOTE Thanks
TWM

isn't that what a message board is for? people to post there questions....?
QUOTE Thanks
samroberto

samroberto is an unknown at this point

The first few charges seemed to drain pretty quickly for me- (I have a 3GS).. But I found that WiFi and MAX brightness were draining it for me.

Now, still with my WiFi ON, and brightness reduced to 1/4 (as in, mostly low power to the left of the slider), I can go 2 to 3 days with non-frenzied activity, texting a little bit, and a few conversations, and lots of email checking.

Note: that with WiFi, I turn it off if I remember to, during times when I'm not around a router... It helps, but it's probably not transformational to my battery life with the way I use the phone anyway.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhone 4 Reboots During Bluetooth Tether | Insurance on the iPhone 4? »