New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Question about Factory Unlocked iPhones

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

avander

avander is on a distinguished road

Hey all

just wondering if someone can help me figure out something about the factory unlocked iPhones. from what i have seen, certain countries (Hong Kong, Australia etc.) sell factory unlocked iPhones. when i went to Australia's apple online store, in the small print, they state that the iPhones can be used with any sim card, and to achieve this, just put it in and activate via iTunes.

Now, i understand it being able to utilize any sim card, but my question is if it is possible for me to buy the unlocked iPhone in Australia and take it back with me to Thailand and use it there with my current sim card provider. is this possible, to be able to use a foreign sim card with the Australian factory unlocked iPhone? it may seem obvious, but i just want to check and make sure. it is not something you want to dismiss or take for granted.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me
avander
QUOTE Thanks
Zigdog

Zigdog is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD

i believe that you could do that, however if it didn't work there is always the jailbreak option!!
QUOTE Thanks
avander

Hey Zigdog

Thanks

i have been doing the jailbreaking and unlocking on a 2G iphone.... it was fun in the beginning, but i am rather looking for a more stable option that will not need to be unlocked. that is why i am looking at the factory unlocked iPhones

thanks for your quick response
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

I have a factory unlocked iPhone from Australia. just like the site says you insert your simcard and your good togo. I just restored mine the other night, Once it's done restoring it unlocks the phone. I'm using mine with Tmobile USA.

here is a pic.
QUOTE Thanks
avander

Sweet, thanks bargsbeer.

ok, great, that is the best type of confirmation i could have received, thanks for that, and the pic. i really appreciate it. at least now i know it can be used as to how i imagined it.

awesome
thanks
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

Quote:
Originally Posted by avander View Post
Sweet, thanks bargsbeer.

ok, great, that is the best type of confirmation i could have received, thanks for that, and the pic. i really appreciate it. at least now i know it can be used as to how i imagined it.

awesome
thanks
no problem, I was little too when I got mine, Rest assured you never have to worry about unlocks or jailbreaks ever again. I got mine on Ebay Australia there pricey but worth the extra cash if you need it unlocked.
QUOTE Thanks
avander

Yeah, that is what i am hoping for, and what i was aiming for, no more unlocks. I may still want to jailbreak because of some of the utilities offered by cydia, but otherwise, a hassle free phone would be great
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« new iPhone? | Recommend a good AA portable battery charger for my iPhone 3Gs »