New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

How is AT&T's coverage, honestly?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rsherid

rsherid is infamous around these parts
Mac Specs: 13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.

I'd be switching from T-Mobile, which is atrocious. With T-Mobile, I barely get any service in my new apartment, university buildings/libraries, or concert venues. I'd have to pay a $200 cancellation fee so I need to know if AT&T will be any better. My service location is Cleveland, Ohio.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Generally, AT&T is much better than T-Mobile. I'm not personally aware of what service is like in Cleveland, but if I had to venture a guess I'd say that you would definitely see an improvement over your current provider.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

You need to ask people in your area. Co-workers, friends and family. I have excellent coverage in California but I'm pretty sure that doesn't help you one bit.

Also check their website it will tell you.

AT&T Coverage Viewer

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
yemilipede

yemilipede is an unknown at this point

Get more dropped calls in Houston, when I had t-mobile I didnt have this issue
QUOTE Thanks
james515

james515 is an unknown at this point

i traveled to Cleveland many times over the last 4 years on business and in downtown close to the Rock and Roll hall of fame and near the airport and in between ATT was really good.

but between Cleveland and Columbus coverage was spotty, same for between Columbus and Cincinnati, but in each of those cities the coverage was really good. it just got bad about 30 to 40 miles out of the city.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Any GSM provider in the US will have spotty coverage.
Metropolitan areas are better, but if you live in the sticks you can more or less forget it.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
ace.13unibody

ace.13unibody is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Unibody Macbook Pro, Iphone 4 16G

Used to know a girl with T-mobile sidekick, couldnt get service anywhere in any buildings in the school while i sat next to her with a "free" phone from ATT with full service, From that experience ive concluded that T-mobile's service sucks......
QUOTE Thanks
superchargedgp

superchargedgp is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13.3 inch mid 09 4gb RAM 500GB HD, iPhone 8GB, 30GB ipod video, Airport Extreme

its OK at best here in Chicago
QUOTE Thanks
MacJenny

MacJenny is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Aluminum unibody MBP, Intel core duo 2.4GHz proc, 4MB DDR3 RAM,

I get great coverage here in the DC area. There's one spot on the beltway where I ALWAYS drop calls, but that's about it.
I had T-Mo here as well, and the coverage was horrendous at best. Dropped calls, no service, etc. I paid the cancellation fee willingly and happily just to be rid of them.

15" aluminum unibody MacBook Pro, 32gb White iPhone 3GS, 160gb iPod
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I agree with the above poster who said it depends on where you live. Ask people who live around you. AT&T coverage here where I am in Central California is first rate and better than most anything I have messed with, but that can to the complete reverse where you live.
QUOTE Thanks
przero

przero is on a distinguished road

Lousy!
QUOTE Thanks
TWM

TWM is on a distinguished road

I live out in the sticks in ca. And swithrd from verizon. I will say that verizon had. Little better service, AT&T has been really good so far!
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Definitely depends on where you live I suppose. Even when I was living and working in New York City, coverage varied greatly. But it was never, ever all that good. Sprint was better in NYC, and Verizon pwn'd, period.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
DriftNismo

DriftNismo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs:  15.4" MacBook Pro w/ 2.0GHz i7 & 4GB, Bold 9700

Not completely related to your question, but when I was in SoCal and around Phoenix, AZ during this past summer with my T-Mobile UK sim I only lost connection and had to take on AT&T for about a minute once during the journey to Phoenix. Every other time, when everybody seemed to always be complaining about not having signal with AT&T or Sprint or Verizon or T-Mobile, I had full signal the whole time with T-Mobile UK...

Just thought it was a bit strange.

 15.4" MacBook Pro | 2.0Ghz i7 | 4GB | HD 6490M | 500GB | OS X 10.7.1 
QUOTE Thanks
speed4tu

speed4tu is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 17" Macbook Pro 3.06Ghz 7200RPM 500gb

The commercials pretty much sum up at&t's coverage nicely. I am having a hard time not dumping my at&t iPhone 3gs for verizon's droid. Verizon has a first rate network with a LOT more coverage area IMO. It is different in everyones section of the country tho.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ih70 speaker interference | Legally Unlocked iPhone? »