New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone warranty question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

brianmp007

brianmp007 is on a distinguished road

About a month and a half ago I cracked my iPhones screen. I went to the apple store to see about getting it fixed, but didnt have the money to do so at the time, and the crack was not that bad at all. The phone worked fine until today I woke up and the bottom 15% of the touch screen does not work. Does anybody know if this is covered under the warranty still? Or will the crack void it?
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

I would say your sol. Sorry
QUOTE Thanks
brianmp007

so my only real hope would be to get a cool person at the apple store lol. I know I could replace it myself, and im guessing that would void the warranty, but how would they check that?
QUOTE Thanks
Doc750

Doc750 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook5,2, iPad 16 gb, iPhone 3GS 32 gb, Iphone 4

check your local craigslist, and also google the net. there are people out there that can fix the screen for you, and it's not too expensive. Much cheaper then buying a new phone out of contract.
QUOTE Thanks
brianmp007

I could do it myself, but would it void the warranty? I have a 3GS so that warranty is only like 3 months old. If I did replace it, would Apple be able to tell just by looking at it that I replaced it myself?
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianmp007 View Post
I could do it myself, but would it void the warranty? I have a 3GS so that warranty is only like 3 months old. If I did replace it, would Apple be able to tell just by looking at it that I replaced it myself?
If the glass is cracked, then the warranty is already void. But to answer your question yes you can replace the glass without Apple finding out,As long as you don't remove the logic board they won't know.
QUOTE Thanks
brianmp007

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargsbeer View Post
If the glass is cracked, then the warranty is already void. But to answer your question yes you can replace the glass without Apple finding out,As long as you don't remove the logic board they won't know.
thanks for the help, one more quick question
i acidently bought the glass without the digitizer. Do you think if I put that glass in and said the whole screen did not work I could get a new one?
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianmp007 View Post
thanks for the help, one more quick question
i acidently bought the glass without the digitizer. Do you think if I put that glass in and said the whole screen did not work I could get a new one?

no don't do that, those Genius' are dumb for the most part,but there not that dumb. You need to buy a Glass/digitizer combo it's simple to install. Check iFixit.com they have some good guides.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Connecting iPhone to MBP | Thoughts on iPhone software 3.1 »