New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Connecting iPhone to MBP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ImageX

ImageX will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5

Is there a way to connect my iPhone OG to my MBP through Bluetooth? Also, I want to know if there is a way I can use my iPhone's internet through some sort of tether method on my MBP like when on the road for example. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
DanFlan

DanFlan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15 Inch MacBook Pro. 2.4 GHz. 2GB RAM. 250GB Hardrive.

Unfortunately the iPhone is only supported for headsets/speakerphones when it comes to Bluetooth. There is no way to sync wirelessly as far as I know. As for your second question, although it would be nice, you cannot use your iPhone as a portable router. The only way to get mobile internet on a laptop is through the new Mobile internet sticks. I think that Rogers and Bell offer them right now. You can check them out here... http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.por...OBILE_INTERNET

"60% of the time it works, every time."
- Brian Fantana
QUOTE Thanks
ImageX

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I don't live in Canada and that's where Roger's service is. I'll look more into mobile internet though to see if I'm interested at all. I don't really travel too much so I don't know if it will be worth it.
QUOTE Thanks
rippingviper

rippingviper is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini

iPhone supports tethering. but mines a 3g. Not sure if 0G was a typo or not. I thought they came 2g and 3g only. But my iPhone I use the tethering option with Rogers and it works just fine, I use it thru my bluetooth.

I also thought I remembered AT&T in the states or something like that supporting tethering as well. I know they're already going to 4G.

Show some Love give Reputation Reputation FAQ
QUOTE Thanks
ImageX

OG is referring to "original" or the first model with the metal back. Do you know if tethering is possible with this iPhone? If so, can you please elaborate and try to describe how to tether or provide a link where I can find out how? Thanks.

"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Remember to use the Reputation System!
QUOTE Thanks
rippingviper

Mac Specs: MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImageX View Post
OG is referring to "original" or the first model with the metal back. Do you know if tethering is possible with this iPhone? If so, can you please elaborate and try to describe how to tether or provide a link where I can find out how? Thanks.
So its a 1G then? Thats as far back as I can seem to find any info on the iphone. I know that the 1g supports tethering with 3.0 software or so i've read.

Tutorial

QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

Of course this is all a mute point is in the us with a non jail broken phone because AT&T does not as of yet allow tethering for the iPhone.
QUOTE Thanks
rippingviper

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayneal View Post
Of course this is all a mute point is in the us with a non jail broken phone because AT&T does not as of yet allow tethering for the iPhone.
How unfortunate. The only other option I could suggest is the following.
Alternate Option

QUOTE Thanks
ZorroAMG

ZorroAMG is a jewel in the roughZorroAMG is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: | '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |

Who told you that at&t was going to 4G soon LMAO...they don't even have 3G completely rolled out yet.

Tethering IS possible with my 3GS for sure...

QUOTE Thanks
bulusespat

bulusespat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZorroAMG View Post
Who told you that at&t was going to 4G soon LMAO...they don't even have 3G completely rolled out yet.

Tethering IS possible with my 3GS for sure...
Good work !
Very cool, looking great so far. Keep going, I wanna see it finished!
QUOTE Thanks
ImageX

^ Um... what are you talking about? Tethering is possible and he isn't stumped. If you have version 3.0 installed on your iPhone, you can tether to you Mac or PC through USB or Bluetooth quite easily in fact. I however was unable to do it because I have already upgraded to 3.1 and am not interested in trying to downgrade.

"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Remember to use the Reputation System!
QUOTE Thanks
bruno

bruno is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImageX View Post
^ Um... what are you talking about? Tethering is possible and he isn't stumped. If you have version 3.0 installed on your iPhone, you can tether to you Mac or PC through USB or Bluetooth quite easily in fact. I however was unable to do it because I have already upgraded to 3.1 and am not interested in trying to downgrade.
def...i was using tethering pretty frequantly before they rolled out 3.1. when i went back and erased the profile the other day, 19 new voice messgaes popped up
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhone Car Charger with an Otterbox Case | iPhone warranty question »