New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

can at&t see your private text messages on iphone

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacNewbie

MacNewbie is an unknown at this point

im kind of curious ......can at&t associates/tech reps see the text messages that you send?
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

No but I believe the courts can subpoena for text messages if needed.

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
socalisurfing

socalisurfing is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, iMac G3, 3 iPods, iPhone 3G

I think Eric is right, yet there are privacy Laws... (out of the courtroom)

Once you go Mac you'll never go back.
QUOTE Thanks
MacNewbie

MacNewbie is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalisurfing View Post
I think Eric is right, yet there are privacy Laws... (out of the courtroom)

so legally they cant just do it without a court order but say a tech rep was bored could he/she casually browse through your texts "for fun"?

my gf and i were being very explicit last night in texting LOl...I didnt think about it at the time but i was wondering if the next time i call in they will be able to see all my infromation and all the stuff i typed
QUOTE Thanks
stevo-m

stevo-m is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 ghz, 1GB ram, 120GB; iPod Classic 80GB; iPod shuffle (2nd gen); iPhone 16gb

I don't think there'd be any law against sending explicit text messages to your girlfriend.

I bloody hope my network can't see my texts. If even I can't remember sending them after a night out, I sure don't want anyone else reading them.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Against the rules to look at those texts, those are private messages but since you are using AT&T's network, it (officially) belongs to them and is stored should they need to be produced under a court order..

So "carry on"..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
socalisurfing

socalisurfing is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, iMac G3, 3 iPods, iPhone 3G

I wouldn't be worried about some nosy At&t rep (again there are privacy laws) but I'm sure someone else has written much worse things to his girlfriend... It's not like your gonna walk into your local At&t store and one of the reps is gonna look at you and give you the "I know what you did last night look". As long as my mother can't monitor them I'm good.

Once you go Mac you'll never go back.
QUOTE Thanks
james515

james515 is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNewbie View Post
so legally they cant just do it without a court order but say a tech rep was bored could he/she casually browse through your texts "for fun"?

my gf and i were being very explicit last night in texting LOl...I didnt think about it at the time but i was wondering if the next time i call in they will be able to see all my infromation and all the sh*T i typed

nope the customer service reps do NOT have access to any of the actual network elements. Only The Network Technicians and engineers do, hey can actually read the messages, but it is a violation of company policy if it is used for anything other than verifying the txt are not corrupted, or that they are actually being sent out.

if an employee actually pulls this data they ill be fired for doing so.
QUOTE Thanks
james515

james515 is an unknown at this point

here is an eye opener

YouTube - Cell Phone Spy Software - Beware

I have know the feds could do some of this for several years now, but now anyone can do it
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james515 View Post
here is an eye opener

I have know the feds could do some of this for several years now, but now anyone can do it
That news article always makes me laugh!

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
iPod Nano

iPod Nano is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6

Quote:
here is an eye opener

Yikes! That's really scary.

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks
deathcloud

deathcloud is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13'' Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 500 GB 7200rpm HD

OMG that is scary!!! AHHHHHH
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
here is an eye opener

That almost seems like it's not even real. It's scary how much technology is sometimes. The bit where they can listen in on you even when you aren't even using your phone was the scariest bit to me.

Especially since we always carry around our cell phones with us, and have it right next to us all the time.

Just a rule of thumb for stuff like this. I would not write or say anything on something that can keep records, especially things you want to keep private.
QUOTE Thanks
torbjoern

torbjoern will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 13" Ultimate (2010)

One has to hold it for granted that all phone operators can see all text messages that are sent through their network, regardless of which kind of GSM-device is being used. So if you intend to send messages like "My nephew will fly from Amsterdam to Detroit with his PET(N) tomorrow", you might want to encrypt the message first. A steganography-based app is mentioned above.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

CAN they look at them? Yes. Are they allowed to do so? No.

There is one thing that I was taught some years ago by my then boss. It was applied to e-mail back then, but I think it should apply to all digital means of communication now. He told me to never send an e-mail that you wouldn't want the whole world knowing about. Once you release that data into the wild you have no idea where it will end up or who it will end up with. I believe the same applies to texting, forum posts, digital pictures and so on these days...

Now I have no problems with you sexting with your girlfriend. Jjust remember, NOTHING you put out on the web or any kind of wireless network is even remotely private anymore. everything is recorded, copied and saved to a database somewhere. That means that some, either legally or illegally, can access your information for whatever means they desire.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Iphone 3G no longer automatically receiving email | jailbreak iphone 3gs 3.1.3 »