New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

On a limited data plan (prepaid SIM) -- when does iPhone access internet?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

morgancodes

morgancodes is on a distinguished road

Hello,
I bought an O2 SIM card in Germany yesterday and successfully got both the phone and data working on my unlocked phone. I had 15 Euros credit on it. Today I have no credit.. I'm trying to figure out how I could have used up all of my credit so quickly. The only thing I can think of is if my phone might be constantly connecting to the internet via the phone service. Does the iPhone access the internet even when the screen is off? Even when no apps are open? Even if there's wifi available? I'm trying to figure out if there is there any way I could have been connected for many hours yesterday without realizing it?
thanks much,
-Morgan
QUOTE Thanks
ace.13unibody

ace.13unibody is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Unibody Macbook Pro, Iphone 4 16G

I'm pretty sure that is the case, i think that is why AT&T MAKES you get a data plan, its required with the iphone, im no expert though, good luck figuring it out
QUOTE Thanks
DanFlan

DanFlan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15 Inch MacBook Pro. 2.4 GHz. 2GB RAM. 250GB Hardrive.

I think that is correct. Just make sure when you are not using your phone for the internet, go to your Settings App> Wi-Fi> and switch it off. This might solve your problem. If not I would call your carrier.

"60% of the time it works, every time."
- Brian Fantana
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Make sure you disable Push functionality which will cause the iPhone to talk to servers for you..you can also switch it into Airplane mode to kill the cell part (I believe Wifi dies as well) to prevent it from getting out.

The iPhone was designed to have ready access to the Internet through Wifi or cell, so unless you turn it off or go into Airplane mode, it can talk to the servers anytime it wants and use up credits.

Regards
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Retrieve pictures taken by iPhone 3G? | Best Place to Buy First iPhone? »