New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Can I change sound alerts for New Mail Etc?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Kola

Kola is on a distinguished road

I must be missing something. New Text message is easy but how do I change the alert for New Mail, Sent Mail, Calender Alerts and Lock Sounds?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Go into Mail Preferences > General and look at the New Mail Sounds and click to see the range of sounds available. If not enough you can always import other sounds.
QUOTE Thanks
Kola

Hi Harry,

Sorry to sound thick but I only got my Iphone today. Where is Mail Preferences? Can find settings then Mail,contacts,calenders but no mail preferences.
QUOTE Thanks
Kola

Anyone?
QUOTE Thanks
boneheadz

boneheadz will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: ibook G4, 17 inch intel imac

There isn't currently a way to change the default mail sound on the iphone. The above poster was referring to mail sounds on the Mac
QUOTE Thanks
Kola

thanks boneheadz. On researching there is a way to do it but it involves jail breaking the phone.

I dont like the sound of that and it voids your warranty.

Cant understand why Apple would leave such a cool feature as uploading your own sounds out of perhaps the most forward thinking consumer gadget in a decade??
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Jail breaking your iPhone is not that big of a deal. I had mine Jailbroken for about a month or so but reverted back. The instability of the systems, multiple crashes a day, got old after a while, especially when simply answering the phone.

That being said, the options for changing your email sounds were limited and disappointing at best.

QUOTE Thanks
Khris

Khris has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Jail breaking your iPhone is not that big of a deal. I had mine Jailbroken for about a month or so but reverted back. The instability of the systems, multiple crashes a day, got old after a while, especially when simply answering the phone.
Must have been something wrong with your jailbreak then as anyone I've talked to, haven't had any issues. I myself have had none.
QUOTE Thanks
Kola

Quote:
That being said, the options for changing your email sounds were limited and disappointing at best.
Baggs I dont understand. Why couldnt you take any tune you like and transfer this to whatever format the iPhone uses. Surely this would give you and infinite amount of choice?
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kola View Post
Baggs I dont understand. Why couldnt you take any tune you like and transfer this to whatever format the iPhone uses. Surely this would give you and infinite amount of choice?
I was able to find Apps for the jailbroken phone to change e-mail sounds, but changing the text sounds was almost impossible. I was surprised that even with the phone jailbroken the options were very limited.

You can't just "take any sound" and convert it because there appears to be no easy way to get it onto the phone to do what you want. Ringtones are easy, everything else isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris
Must have been something wrong with your jailbreak then as anyone I've talked to, haven't had any issues. I myself have had none.
No, not really. I did it twice thinking that I must have done something wrong but the instability of the phone, even as just a phone, was pretty much a killer for me. I know people who have used the same procedures as I did and theirs works just fine, mine never did. In the end, the benefits of having it jailbroken were outweighed by the inconveniences.

Your results may vary..

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhone apps disappeared | 3GS Visual Voicemail No Worky »