New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone detects WiFi but cannot connect

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tez839

tez839 is on a distinguished road

An odd thing happened to my iPhone a couple of months ago.

From being absolutely fine on my home wireless network it suddenly stopped connecting. At first I thought it was just a glitch. I subsequently updated the firmware to the latest version but it still wouldn't connect. Upon trying to connect to other networks I get the same 'Unable to join the network "xxx"' regaredless of the security (or lack thereof) on the connection.

I find this strange as the networks are detected, it just cannot connect. I've updated, reset, etc etc but to no avail.

Any suggestions before I send it in?
QUOTE Thanks
mr570

mr570 is on a distinguished road

My wife's iPhone was having this exact same issue. She has a 16GB White 3G. I searched like crazy on the internet and came across a method that seems to work. I will simplify the steps for you.

Here is what I did to resolve the issue.

1. Change the wireless network password on your router
2. Reset the network settings in the iPhone
(Settings --> General --> Reset --> Reset Network Settings)

3. After the device restarts, go to the Wi-Fi menu
4. Select your network, and enter the new password
5. (Optional) Revert the wireless password back to its original value
6. Reconnect the iPhone

Everything should be working now.

Best wishes

~ mr570
QUOTE Thanks
Doppler808

Doppler808 is on a distinguished road

If the above don't work.

1. Sometimes that might not work. Unplug your router for 10-15 seconds, and then plug it back in. Then try and connect with your iPhone. Don't work go to 2.

2. Try updating your firmware or do a fresh setup for your wireless router. If that doesn't work go to 3.

3. Restore your iPhone without using your backup and treat it like a new phone. If problem persists take it to a genius bar.
QUOTE Thanks
jr429

jr429 is on a distinguished road

in my experience this is generally a wireless router problem. A firmware upgrade on the router will help. If not try changing routers. Can the phone connect to other routers?
QUOTE Thanks
azndragon684

azndragon684 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.53 Ghz 4gb DDR3 unibody, iPhone 3G 16gb, iPod Touch 16gb

this happened to me before...any wifi available i wasn't able to connect to wether it was home, school, friends house....i took it to Apple they said that the wifi component inside the phone was broken or something similar basically had to send it in and pay a lump some since my warranty was over....
QUOTE Thanks
deathcloud

deathcloud is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13'' Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 500 GB 7200rpm HD

Just in case anyone else was having this problem all I did was reset the router and then it connected no problem....
QUOTE Thanks
jeltekalkman

jeltekalkman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Early "09 Macbook Alubody 13" / iPhone 3G 16GB Black

Just to be clear with you all... The most likely problem for an iPhone not to connect to wifi is because since about the 2.6 software, the iPhone uses WPA2 security.
The easiest way to solve the problem is to up the security on your router

Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works.
QUOTE Thanks
DanFlan

DanFlan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15 Inch MacBook Pro. 2.4 GHz. 2GB RAM. 250GB Hardrive.

I would just try a general power cycle of the router. Turn off all other devices on the network and reset the iPhones network settings.

"60% of the time it works, every time."
- Brian Fantana
QUOTE Thanks
james515

james515 is an unknown at this point

you can also reset the network settings in the iPhone as well. I tried reseting my router and all that but it never fixed it. resetting the network settings in the phone has worked every time
QUOTE Thanks
deathcloud

deathcloud is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13'' Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 500 GB 7200rpm HD

Well just in case I set my network to wap2 and am going to see if that will fix it. Hopefully there will be no more problems from my iphone and MBP.
QUOTE Thanks
shadyboi

shadyboi is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2009 Unibody MBP, 2.8ghz, 500gig, 4gig

if nothing works before taking the phone to apple to get a replace pt the phone in freezer for 5 mins and then try to connect again.. I had the same problem and tried everything everybody suggested but never gave credit to this solution. It is most likely caused by a fault in the cooling system or the wifi chip is just gone bad.

Just be nice and helpful...
QUOTE Thanks
palmsprings

palmsprings is on a distinguished road

Needed a solution to my iphone problem-no wi-fi. Well I read some of the blogs , and straight away I knew that it wasnt my router as my partner has the same phone and hers is fine. We have just returned from mexico where we used the hotels wi-fi, and it was fine. But when we got home her iphone asked her for the password, but mine just said no connection. So I turned off all networks in the generals tab, then went to the reset in settings tab and reset network settings. Bingo it work.... It asked then asked me for my password for the router, and it is now working. So I think this is the best and first solution. jozef
QUOTE Thanks
vidlogar

vidlogar is on a distinguished road

I have iPad 2 with 5.1. Last mont i was with my uncle and she can connnect to their wifi, but i can't. we both have instaled ios 5.0.1. And when i type password and press done alert shows me saying that is unable to connect to network********. Help, please
QUOTE Thanks
RamenBoy69

RamenBoy69 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz, i5, 8 GB RAM, iPhone 4 (16GB), iPad 2+3 (32 GB)

If you are not able to connect any other wireless networks with your phone, it may not be a problem with your specific wireless connection/router, but rather your cellular device itself. Try doing a cold reboot with your iPhone, and if all fails, I would recommend you bring your iPhone to an Apple store.
QUOTE Thanks
vidlogar

vidlogar is on a distinguished road

Maybe somethink with servers?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Iphone 5 Battery-- Is this excessive battery depletion | iPhone 4s no sim, can't access settings? HELP! »