New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

txt message problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Angela2307

Angela2307 is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone i have just got the iphone 2g it is unlocked so it has my orange sim card in it.

When people send me txts sometimes they come right through and other times they are like and hour or more after they have sent it, has anyone else had this problem, i have full signal where i am so dont know why they are taking so long to come through for, never had the problem till i got this phone all others have worked fine.

Angela
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Not only have I had that problem, but have seen times when texts just plain were not sent through.

The issue is likely not your phone but rather different cell companies Networks. The more repeaters a cell company saturates a given area with, the more through put their network has for voice and data. When a geographic area of a network becomes saturated with users, that network slows down, while other networks may continue to move along based on the availability of bandwidth. Depending on where you and the other person are and if you are on the same network, this can go from slightly slow to never delivered pretty fast. Most networks can throttle their bandwidth up to meet higher user demand a peak hours but as the receivers become bogged down, the network can still slow down.

As an example, 3 members of my family live in the same home on the same cell network (AT&T). We can text with no issues on Friday night. The 4th member lives on/near a college campus and is on a different cell company (T-Mobile). Texts between AT&T and the T-Mobile are often lost because the college campus becomes geographically saturated on the T-Mobile network due to a lack of repeaters AND the high number of users. As such texts get dropped first to protect the integrity of voice communications and to keep the network running. While this is happening, others who use another cell company (Verizon) have no issues because Verizon has saturated the geographic area with repeaters and provides better bandwidth throughput to it's customers. In that specific location, AT&T falls somewhere between Verizon and T-Mobile in the number of repeater but has far better service/coverage than T-Mobile does.

Or, it could be your phone. Keep an eye on it.

QUOTE Thanks
Angela2307

Thanks for you reply, i dont think it is that, as I have never had one problem and I have been with Orange for 2 and half years now.

I have tried ringing the Iphine from our landline and it goes to answer machine even though I have a signal, and it says orannge network so the phone it unlocked.
I can ring people from the phone and txt them but noone seems to be able to contact me, I get the messages sometimes, when I try ringing someone I tend to get a few messages then.
I have no idea what it could be
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I've had that issue too. I simply blame AT&Ts **** poor service though as I've had it happen with other AT&T phones. It could also be a case of network saturation or of network degradation where you are at any given time.

QUOTE Thanks
Angela2307

well i went to restore the phone and because it was unlocked it crashed on boot up, so i unlocked it again and now it seems fine again, i have a few people txt me and they have come right through and also the battery is lasting longer, before it only lasted about 4 hours and that was fully charged and i didnt use it just didnt last long, seems better now.

I have got older firmware on there because it is working though i am going to leave it as it is, i dont know if i upgrade the firmware if it will lock it back to 02 again.

thanks for the help
Angela
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Iphone 3gs one month old won't charge & Itunes won't recognize | iphone shuts down »