New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone GS 32 gig for MacBook Deal

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Ok...so I'm really knowledgeable about Apple Macintosh computers...but I'm basically clueless about the iPhone.

I have a 2.0ghz MacBook for sale locally...and a guy wants to trade me his iPhone GS 32gig + his contract for my MacBook.

Can anybody advise me if this is a good deal. He says that the iPhone GS with 32gig of memory + the contract he has sells for like $800-$900 on e-Bay.

At this point I don't know the details of the contract...such as how long it is.

I figure my MacBook is worth around $650...so is this a good deal?

Maybe I'm missing something BIG TIME due to my lack of iPhone & iPhone contract knowledge.

Thanks,

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Don't understand what "+ his contract" means. Assume he's trying to get out from under his 2 year obligation.

You can purchase that iPhone for $299 and have your own 2 year contract/commitment to pay $X a month.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Dnasty777

Dnasty777 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 8gig iPhone 3g; 2.0Ghz Mini

I would only buy contracts through ATT. Too many ways that the guy could screw you.

--Dave--
QUOTE Thanks
AppleFreak81

AppleFreak81 is on a distinguished road

Yeah i would also say its not a good deal on your end.

iMac 24" 2.66 Ghz
Macbook Aluminum Unibody 2.4 Ghz
iPhone 3G S on T-Mobile: MMS and Internet Tethering
Black iPod Classic
QUOTE Thanks
Noxian

Noxian is a jewel in the roughNoxian is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle

Couldnt you go into a ATT store of your choosing and have the contract switched over and explained to you by someone at ATT? I dont know because I am not sure how it works in the states.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Don't understand what "+ his contract" means. Assume he's trying to get out from under his 2 year obligation.

You can purchase that iPhone for $299 and have your own 2 year contract/commitment to pay $X a month.
Yes..."+ his contract" means the iPhone + the contract he has pre-paid for.

I also assume he is trying to get out from under his obligation.

Yeah...I also thought that I should be able to get the iPhone for $299, and pay month to month.

Thanks the reply,

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnasty777 View Post
I would only buy contracts through ATT. Too many ways that the guy could screw you.
Since I'm not too familiar with iPhones & the contracts...that's why I was asking a question here...I don't want to get screwed!

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxian View Post
Couldnt you go into a ATT store of your choosing and have the contract switched over and explained to you by someone at ATT? I dont know because I am not sure how it works in the states.
This is EXACTLY what I was going to do if I went ahead with the deal.

If I decided to do it...I would insist that the current owner and myself would both go to the nearest AT&T store, I would need to verify the details of the contract, and what has already been paid for (or not)...and if everything checked out, I would want to do the contract transfer there in front of the AT&T sales representative.

Thanks a ton folks for the replies,

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

edit: sounds like you're on the right track

I've just never heard of a pre-paid account like that.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
edit: sounds like you're on the right track

I've just never heard of a pre-paid account like that.
Well that makes two of us!

I've been trying to get the details from the "seller"...but no response as of yet.

I am certainly familiar with most cellphone contracts...but I was trying to keep an open mind regarding this iPhone deal (because of the special relationship between Apple's iPhone & AT&T), and the contract the guy has.

It sounds like it some sort of rip-off...so most likely I will not be doing business with this guy.

Thanks for the help & replies,

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 3GS charge | Broken speaker »