New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Dropped my iPhone in my drink

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

NickRubino

NickRubino is on a distinguished road

OK, so I was enjoying a weekend in Atlantic City, and was pregaming and accidently dropped my iPhone in my drink. It didn't shut off immediately, the music of my iPod was playing and the music was still playing but got muffled, so I got a hairdryer and tried to dry it off and we went out and i set it on the heater all night long.

Long story short, the phone was somewhat working this morning and but then it shut off and wouldn't take a charge on a car charger. I got home and now the apple logo screen keeps blinking when its plugged into my wall charger...

I have the apple care plan, and I just got this phone about a month ago. Is there anything I can do to save my beloved iPhone? Please HELP!? Is there any hope?

8GB iPhone 3G

iBook G4 - 14'', 1.33Ghz, 1.25GB RAM, 60GB HD
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

Applecare is not going to cover damage from liquid. It will be evident once it is opened up. This one is going to be on you.
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Your just going to have to buy a new one.

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
NickRubino

Since I just bought it about a month ago, will i still be able to get the 3G at the $100 price I originally got it for?

No tricks to alleviate water damage? Is it lost cause?

8GB iPhone 3G

QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light

Nope, no "tricks". It is more than likely a lost cause and you will probably have to pay full price for the new one. The short time that you have had it does not even come into play.
QUOTE Thanks
NickRubino

What do you mean full price? Is $100, full price for the 8GB 3G?

8GB iPhone 3G

QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickRubino View Post
No. $100 is the price for signing a new contract or extending a contract if your eligible. Full retail price is a lot more.

It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

Quote:
Well, you bought that phone with a new contract right? Now, you need a new phone and are not eligible for an upgrade, so you will more than likely not get the discounted price. I may be wrong, and hopefully someone will correct me if so.

As with most carriers just because you need a new phone because you broke your current one doesn't mean that you are going to get one at advertised prices.

I would guess that you will be well into $100's of dollars for a replacement.
QUOTE Thanks
NickRubino

So, I won't be elligible to renew my contract since I bought the phone such a short amount of time ago?

What am I looking at for getting a new one?

8GB iPhone 3G

QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

You just signed a contract, you can't get another one to get a cheaper phone. How about you call and find out what it is going to cost you.
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Quote:
So, I won't be elligible to renew my contract since I bought the phone such a short amount of time ago?

What am I looking at for getting a new one?
No you just signed/renewed the contract. Why will they let you renew it again if its only about a month in.

Like suggested call and ask how much it will cost for a retail iPhone. Go into an Apple Store or go to a ATT store.

It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
NickRubino

Gonna be $300, ughhh, not my weekend....

8GB iPhone 3G

QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Don't hold your iphone over your drink? Haha.
QUOTE Thanks
Netty4mac

Netty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Macky the Macbook Pro 2.3Ghz i5 4GB Ram, Mr.Pink 16GB White iPhone 4

I'm just curious, what were you drinking?

QUOTE Thanks
Noxian

Noxian is a jewel in the roughNoxian is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle

was it something like this?
http://www.smape.com/en/reviews/appl...rash_test.html
see the beer / water test near the bottom.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Car Charger | iPhone 3GS Video Composite Cables »