New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone 3GS Battery Issue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jason139

Jason139 is on a distinguished road

Software Version: 3.0.1

Hello everybody.

I have an issue with my 3GS' battery - the battery is simply draining so fast! This was especially evident whilst roaming - data, location services, 3G were all switched off and the battery was worse than ever.

After 9hrs50mins standby and 2hrs35mins audio usage, the battery had fallen to 29% from a full charge. Is this normal? It certainly wasn't like it when I first got the phone.

I have booked an appointment at a Genius bar - any ideas what they'll do?

Thanks very much for your feedback.

Jason
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

No, it's not normal.

How long have you had the iPhone? Many products, iPods and iPhones included, get better battery life after a bit of conditioning. It can help if you let the battery die completely 3 or 4 times in a row and then fully charge it each time before use.

It is possible your battery has issues though. Other things that can kill the battery are WiFi use, Bluetooth and many games/apps can kill the batter fast as well.

QUOTE Thanks
Jason139

Jason139 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
No, it's not normal.

How long have you had the iPhone? Many products, iPods and iPhones included, get better battery life after a bit of conditioning. It can help if you let the battery die completely 3 or 4 times in a row and then fully charge it each time before use.

It is possible your battery has issues though. Other things that can kill the battery are WiFi use, Bluetooth and many games/apps can kill the batter fast as well.
Thanks for your feedback. Wifi was off and so was Bluetooth. The phone crashed during the update to 3.0.1 and I had to restore from backup - the problem have occurred since then. I have had the iPhone since 1st July.

Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Sounds like there is something odd related to the restore. Apple should be able to help you, or you can try another restore for grins.

QUOTE Thanks
stevo-m

stevo-m is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 ghz, 1GB ram, 120GB; iPod Classic 80GB; iPod shuffle (2nd gen); iPhone 16gb

I'm having some issues with battery life too.

Today, for instance, after a full charge, it's been on standby for 16 hours and been used for 4, but I've only listened to three songs, used 3G for browsing for about twenty minutes, and the rest was spent sending texts. No phone calls or email. The battery is now at 36%.

Does that sound normal? I do find the battery life quite poor in general, particularly when compared with my first gen iPhone - which I had right up until I upgraded to 3G S a couple of weeks after it was launched. I always have Bluetooth off and rarely use WiFi (haven't used it at all today).

I'm too late to return to O2 because I've had it for more than 28 days but should I take it to the Apple Store?
QUOTE Thanks
Chilbear

Chilbear is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5

I am on my third day with my iPhone and noticed day 1 ate through the battery as everyone suggested with heavy www usage and email setup. Day 2 ate through the battery also and finished at 6%. Last night I turned it off and charged it via usb. Started at 100% and 8 hours later, 4 phone calls, email push every 30 minutes it says 81%. Acceptable. Bluetooth off, WiFi off as well.
QUOTE Thanks
dadbif

dadbif is on a distinguished road

Similar problems with my 3G, after update I flattened the battery overnight with nil use, usage showed 4hrs 32 and s/by 11hrs 20. Last night I charged it all night using the mains charger rather than USB, battery flat after 9 hours, showing 4hrs 11 usage although I have not made or received a single call and only used wifi for half an hour, standby 12hrs 45... anyone got any ideas?

The apple support guy got me to back up and do a full restore, it does not appear to have made any difference.
QUOTE Thanks
maz94protege

maz94protege will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo

i have an older 3G 8GB version, i can see my battery last long on some days then the others. While at work (since i cant have my phone in the office, military reasons) i keep it turned off in my locker. Outside of work, if im not doing anything specific, wifi/BT and 3G are all turned off, i use the EDGE network and it saves battery life. Sometimes at the gym where i get minimal service, ill put it in airplane mode to preserve more battery. I can go about 2 days on average usage. i have push emails every 15mins, make about 6-7 calls a day maybe 10-15mins per call. and ocassional music usage. by day 2 im at 20%.

just my experience.
QUOTE Thanks
dadbif

dadbif is on a distinguished road

My iphone is now sorted, Apple old me to do the following "errased ipsw files in mac finder/user name/library/itunes/iphone software update then put this files into the trash"
then empty trash and restart computer.

Should have mentioned backup first!!

then do a restore, and finally restore from backup, my iphone has been running for 3 days on s/by, no probs
QUOTE Thanks
nzboy

nzboy is on a distinguished road

Having the same issue. Mines worse I think. I have it fully charged before goign to sleep, and wkaing up in the morning its at 70%. And when I fully charge and take out and only use the phone for like txt 10 times, and at the end of the day its around 5% or switched off. I like my 3G better than 3GS to be honest at least that lasted around 1.5 days without needing a charge.

Macbook Pro 13" 2.26Ghz 4GB 500GB Scorpio
iPhone 4 32GB
Intel i7 - 4870x2 2GB - 6GB OCZ DDR3
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Thought maybe I had waited long enough to upgrade - guess not.

After finally upgrading to the 3gs from the 2g, the battery does leave a lot to be desired in the 3gs.

The way I use it, primarily as a phone, no texting, bluetooth on, wifi off and taking pictures at job sites - the 2g went for a good 5 days between charges at 2 yrs old. The new 3gs barely gets 2 days.

Never had a single dropped call on the 2g without reason either - like one of us getting into an elevator, etc. Am now getting disconnects and drop outs on at least 20-30% of my calls. My wife can't even make/receive a call from the desk at her office with the new phone. So it refuses to even switch back to the edge network.

I will try conditioning and see if that improves the battery any.

About the only thing it does do better, if I'm inside one of the big box electronics stores, I get a much better browsing experience to check prices online.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iphone 3gs not saving recent calls | Cant connect iphone to macbook »