New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Sick of 3.0 being slow..

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

Should I call Apple about this?

I mean, realistically, when 3.0 came out, for about a week or so, it was fairly normal.

Up till now, it takes 15-30 seconds for my SMS window to open. Most other functions on the phone itself are a lot slower than before.

Not to mention browsing on 3G is at least half the speed of what it was originally.

Is this something to be concerned about? I've been trying to read Apple's support forums and other websites, but nothing helping me out here.
QUOTE Thanks
martyp

martyp is a jewel in the roughmartyp is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Retina, 2.3GHz i7, 16Gb, 512Gb SSD, 750GT. iPhone 5S 64Gb Gold

All I can add is I share your feelings...

Don't think I can revert back to OS 2 though? Hopefully 3.1 will solve our problems - on the 3G S it is rapid though!
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

I am also experiencing very slow responses from the 3.0 software on my 3G 8GB. Screens take more time to transition, for example creating a calendar entry and toggling between the fields. Applications and the web browser are also slow to launch. I've noticed that typing is quite slow as well... I can type letters and nothing happens, then all of the letters appear at once after a few seconds. Notes also takes quite awhile to recognize a tap and let me edit. Everything works, but very slowly. Guess I'm not alone after all.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice

Same thing for me.. When I'm using the keyboard, letters are quite delayed in showing up, and even switching home screens it's slow.

Sometimes there's no "shrinking" transitions when I'm in an app and hit the home button.

Speaking of 3.1, does any one know when it will approximately be released?

My gf's getting an iPhone after we move at the end of August, so I'm going to see if Rogers can upgrade mine to the 3GS, since she is buying one, and putting it on my phone bill.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

My first gen seems to be ok. If anything it seems a little speedier with 3.0.
Crash Kart def loads faster.

Guess I'm still glad I didn't take the upgrade to the 3G.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
odenkun

odenkun is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 3.2QC, 27" (Oct 2012), iPad (3rd)、iPhone 5

I am with you guys. It frustrates me so bad by a speed of turtle.
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Wait until the 3.1 release to see if it changes anything.

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
tonedef56

tonedef56 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 20" Imac 2.16ghz intel core duo , 30gb ipod, 16 gb 3g iphone,PowerBook G4 1.67ghz 1Gb ram

MIne was also slow when i first upgraded to 3.0. I did a restore and its been working fine now for the past month. Occasional if it gets slow i do a reboot wich seems to work fine for me.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I have the same issues, but I just chocked it up to my phone being jailbroken. If it's this slow for you guys, then I suppose the jailbreak isn't the culprit here.

I'm really annoyed that I have to wait forever for apps that used to load instantly like SMS and Mail. I feel like my phone slows down considerably after prolonged use and I have to restart just to get it back to the semi useful state it was in previously.

I really think the problem is that 3.0 wasn't optimized for the 3G. I look at 3GS users and the OS simply flies on their phones. I'm really hoping Apple fixes this issue with 3.1, and I hope they do it quick because this is getting really annoying.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

I've restored mine several times, and still the same. It's so frustrating!

On a side-note, my phone is not Jailbroken. I did that when I had 2.2.1 and it slowed it down massively.

Apple needs to get on the ball with this soon, because if they don't, my faith in the iPhone is going to deteriorate a lot quicker than it already is.

I honestly thought when I first got the iPhone, this was going to end my bad luck with cell phones.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Well, I restored the 3.0 firmware and it's quicker again. Not as fast as 2.2.x, but much more manageable. Of course now, my iPhoto albums won't sync... Getting the "File not found" error - whatever that means. Ah well, if it was really plug and play, some of us would be without jobs.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
iPhonefFreak

iPhonefFreak is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" late 2008, iMac Intel 20" 2006

What ca I say… get a 3GS.
I'm kidding, but my sister has a 3G and since she upgraded to O.S. 3.0 I haven't noticed speed differences.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I've actually only had to reset my a few times to get the whole phone to speed up. SMS now opens in 1-2 seconds and e-mail is very responsive. iCal is just fine, now, and Apps run faster.

QUOTE Thanks
Z mannn R2

Z mannn R2 will become famous soon enough

restarting your phone every few days seems to really help
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

I am having significant "non response" issues from my touch screen on my new 3G S. Randomly, as far as I can tell, the touch screen just doesn't work. If I wait 20s to 30s, it sometimes starts working again, sometimes it doesn't. Turning the phone off and on again with the button at the top right of the phone "cures" the immediate problem, but it keep recurring. I do note that it seems to get worse (happens more often) as the battery gets low.

My guess is it is a software bug - I too am waiting eagerly for a 31.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New iPhone | MMS messages not available til summer.. Another reason to not buy 3Gs yet »