New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Dropped iPhone 3GS in water, need advice.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

len0475

len0475 is on a distinguished road

Just as the title states. I dropped it this weekend in water. I immediately turned it off and let it sit. The phone works overall with the exception of my camera and the backlight.

Is this something I can repair? If so, what needs to be replaced?

I'm tempted to just put it up for sale. It's a white 32gb, how much would it be worth with the damages? No other physical damages to the phone other than the water damage. It's mint!
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

I would just sale it. You can probably get a good amount for it on eBay even if it is water damaged. Search eBay for prices on recently sold items.

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

My 3GS unexpectedly died 7 days after I bought it. I took it back to the Apple store. I figured they would at least check it for water damage or attempt to see if it had been jailbroken/unlocked. But they didn't. When they saw it wasn't working properly, they exchanged it no questions asked. If it doesn't show any evidence of physical damage, I'd take it back to the Apple store and play dumb. They may replace it without asking any questions.
QUOTE Thanks
len0475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygray View Post
My 3GS unexpectedly died 7 days after I bought it. I took it back to the Apple store. I figured they would at least check it for water damage or attempt to see if it had been jailbroken/unlocked. But they didn't. When they saw it wasn't working properly, they exchanged it no questions asked. If it doesn't show any evidence of physical damage, I'd take it back to the Apple store and play dumb. They may replace it without asking any questions.
There is a water indicator at the bottom and inside the headphone jack. It turns pink when there are water damage. They'll shine a flashlight down in there to see if there are any damages.

That doesn't mean I won't try it. LoL. I'm waiting a couple more days for it to dry completely.
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Yeah it's always nice to scam them out for a new phone.

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

Sell it, you will be ahead of the game. There are people on ebay who are always looking for broken iPhones,Especially the 3GS.
QUOTE Thanks
MC˛

MC˛ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by len0475 View Post
There is a water indicator at the bottom and inside the headphone jack. It turns pink when there are water damage. They'll shine a flashlight down in there to see if there are any damages.

That doesn't mean I won't try it. LoL. I'm waiting a couple more days for it to dry completely.
Yes and there are two on the logic board that turn pink if the look hard they can tell. Put the phone in a ziplock with silica for a few days and you will probably be fine. If the LCD is hazy you can replace it if you have questions email or pm me. I have a iPhone repair company and we have had good luck with water damage I can give you some tips. The camera and LCD are relatively cheap to replace.

Visit my iPhone repair site http://mc2iphone.com
QUOTE Thanks
len0475

Well, I went to the Apple Store today and spoke with a Genius named Brian. Told him what happened and he checked to make sure and yup, both indicators went off. Anywho, he ordered me a new phone. I have to turn in my phone and then pay $199.00 for a new one under the replacement plan. Keep my existing warranty and I'm happy. If I went the Ebay route, it would've easily been in the neighborhood of $350 out of pocket.
QUOTE Thanks
tacsniper

tacsniper is an unknown at this point

^ good for you for being honest. Hope you have better luck with your new iPhone

24" iMac + 13" MacBook Pro + 16GB White iPhone 3G = iMBroke!
QUOTE Thanks
Cedric_91

Cedric_91 is on a distinguished road

the same thing happened to me, and i have a question. when you took it to the Apple store and they replaced it, did they give you a new 3GS, or a refurbished one? i ask because they normally give refurbished ones. either way works for me when they replace mine, its just something i was wondering.
QUOTE Thanks
len0475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedric_91 View Post
the same thing happened to me, and i have a question. when you took it to the Apple store and they replaced it, did they give you a new 3GS, or a refurbished one? i ask because they normally give refurbished ones. either way works for me when they replace mine, its just something i was wondering.
When you pay the $199 replacement, I was "told" that it is a brand new unit. I must have sat up there for another 30 minutes examining the new unit to make sure it's new and not a refurbished one and I really can't tell the difference. Screen and case looks perfectly new to me.
QUOTE Thanks
Noxian

Noxian is a jewel in the roughNoxian is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by len0475 View Post
When you pay the $199 replacement, I was "told" that it is a brand new unit. I must have sat up there for another 30 minutes examining the new unit to make sure it's new and not a refurbished one and I really can't tell the difference. Screen and case looks perfectly new to me.
Often refurb doesnt mean it ever made it to a consumers hand it just may not have passed Q/A when being built and was put in a bin where they later address the problem attempt to fix it.
QUOTE Thanks
Cedric_91

Cedric_91 is on a distinguished road

alright, thanks guys.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hardware compatabilty | Iphone as MP3 alarm clock? »