New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone's LCD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kyels

kyels is on a distinguished road

Hi guys,

I am new in this forum and I am an iPhone user. Recently, my youngest brother told me to get him a second hand iPhone and I found a person whom is willing to let go of his 2G since he has plans to upgrade his device to the 3Gs.

Anyway, I noticed in the photo that he sent me that the LCD screen of the iPhone has tiny lines. It is not scratches on the touchscreen but more like "pixelation lines". Apparently, he told me the lines started spreading out of the blue and he has never sent it for repairs since it was bought from the US ( I'm from Asia, by the way ).

Has any of your iPhones encountered this before? Can it be repaired?

So, I hope you guys can give me some information before I proceed with the deal as I am pretty reluctant to buy it due to the lines. Check the attachment below.

Thanks!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg The lines i metioned.JPG (103.3 KB, 23 views)
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Dead pixels. >_>"

If it's still under warranty maybe they can fix it. Otherwise it will cost money to fix.
QUOTE Thanks
kyels

Hah! I thought so too ... I doubt it is under warranty anymore.
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

don't waste your time,It's not worth fixing. There are so many good deals on used iPhones right now.
QUOTE Thanks
kyels

Yeah, I'll have to convince my brother about that. Haha.

QUOTE Thanks
untrueparadox

untrueparadox is on a distinguished road

iphones have 2 year warranty, so chances are that phone is still under warranty. otherwise, an LCD panel for the iphone without the digitizer glass is only like $50 at the most off ebay if youre handy and can fix it.
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by untrueparadox View Post
iphones have 2 year warranty, so chances are that phone is still under warranty.
I believe the iPhone has a 1 year warranty. Purchasing Applecare would extend the warranty to 2 years.
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

iPhone has a 1 year warranty, Don't be fooled the 1st generation iPhone when replacing any part of the display unit, You must replace the entire display which includes Glass,lcd and digitizer you can't just replace the lcd or the glass this is a big common myth among people with broken 2G iPhones.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Wouldn't purchase any used electronics device that needs immediate repair unless: 1) you're getting it free or almost free, 2) have some experience working on these sort of things and 3) have already verified the price of the replacement parts.

It's easy to get sucked into a situation where you have almost as much into a device as you would have spent just getting the new one to begin with.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Definitely not under warranty: He's using it with maxis according to that pic. The only official iPhone 2G carriers were AT&T, T-Mobile Germany, O2 UK and a few other european carriers. Maxis is in malaysia (from what Google tells me), so it's probably never been officially activated and is therefore not eligible for repairs under warranty.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhone Armband Review? | Anyone having the "HOME" button stick? »