New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Connecting to 3G Networks - iPhone 3G vs. iPhone 3GS

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Koerfgen

Koerfgen is an unknown at this point

I noticed a strange phenomenon:
My old iPhone 3G seems to be better at connecting to 3G networks than my new iPhone 3GS.

I run both parallel, one has my company sim card, the other my personal sim card (both same provider).
The older 3G phone shows "3G" more regularly than the newer 3GS.

I compared the settings and the phones are usually sitting next to each other.
I also swapped the sim card to see whether t might be sim card related, but the results were the same. The older phones is better at finding 3G networks.

Has anyone made a similar observation, or has any explanation?

Thank you.

Kurt
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Threads merged, please don't cross post.
QUOTE Thanks
Koerfgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
Threads merged, please don't cross post.

Well, if it has been discussed before, would you care to point me in the right direction?

When I do a search on this forum for "3G networks 3G 3GS", which would be the likely keywords for finding information whether the 3GS iPhone has more difficulties to lock on to 3G networks than the older 3G phone, I get 3 hits, none of which provides the answers.

A short "Threads merged, please don't cross post." is hardly helpful for a new member, is it?
(That is if one cares enough to to be helpful....)

Thank you.

K
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koerfgen View Post
Well, if it has been discussed before, would you care to point me in the right direction?

When I do a search on this forum for "3G networks 3G 3GS", which would be the likely keywords for finding information whether the 3GS iPhone has more difficulties to lock on to 3G networks than the older 3G phone, I get 3 hits, none of which provides the answers.

A short "Threads merged, please don't cross post." is hardly helpful for a new member, is it?
(That is if one cares enough to to be helpful....)

Thank you.

K
He did not say anything about searching before you post. He said do not cross post. Do not post the same exact thread twice...

Helpful? Yes so you don't do it again in the future.

Thank you.

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
Sobe

Sobe will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" 2.8ghz Macbook Pro, 32GB iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric559 View Post
He did not say anything about searching before you post. He said do not cross post. Do not post the same exact thread twice...

Thank you.

^^
this

I don't support candidates that will say anything to be elected, and avoid answering questions like the plague.
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light

To help the OP, this is the first I heard about this happening. There was another post saying that they noticed it taking a while to find 3G service when powering up but that's not really the same.

It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

MacWorld article is good read related to this.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Koerfgen

Quote:

Thank you.

Cross-Posted??? My apologies.
I wasn't even aware that this post had shown up cross-posted.
Although - as a moderator on a non-computer related forum - I am aware that this can occur when the connection gets reset. (Some forum softwares tries to avoid this by blocking a repeat post within a certain time frame of the original post.)

Ever seen this?
Safari can’t open the page.
Safari can’t open the page “http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/new...=157381” because the server unexpectedly dropped the connection. This sometimes occurs when the server is busy. Wait for a few minutes, and then try again.

"and then try again." Not always the fault of the member, you see?

I know also that when you make a new member feel welcome, these members may grow into valuable additions to the forum who will quickly come to grips with forum software, etiquette, get to know the subject better and will eventually contribute to a strong, vibrant and growing forum.

It all starts with making newcomers feel welcome - or stops when they feel pushed around with snappy replies and start looking somewhere else.

Remember; whatever forum you visit and where you deem yourself an expert, YOU started as a novice too at some time.

K.
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Okay we got that out of the way lets get back to your original post.

It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Bottom Line compare/contrast of iphone 3g and 3gs | Porting my cellphone number »