New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Tomtom up to their usual tricks.....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dad2b

Dad2b has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Heard that unless you use their car cradle the tomtom software will not work??

so what good will it be as a stand alone gps device etc for someone to use walking etc?

If the 3gs has GPS as standard then the tomtom must be able to function without this cradle???
QUOTE Thanks
Noxian

Noxian is a jewel in the roughNoxian is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad2b View Post
Heard that unless you use their car cradle the tomtom software will not work??

so what good will it be as a stand alone gps device etc for someone to use walking etc?

If the 3gs has GPS as standard then the tomtom must be able to function without this cradle???
might only be for the 1st Gen iphone that you need the cradle since they didnt have GPS radios in them.
QUOTE Thanks
Dad2b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxian View Post
might only be for the 1st Gen iphone that you need the cradle since they didnt have GPS radios in them.

No..... its something to do with tomtom claiming the GPS inside the iphone is not good enough
QUOTE Thanks
eddiddiums

eddiddiums is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz

Quote:
No..... its something to do with tomtom claiming the GPS inside the iphone is not good enough
I would really like to know where you are getting this information. Could you please cite a source?

From what I have read here, and even pointed out to you in this tread, the VP of Marketing Development for TomTom has said that the dock is not required for use on the iPhone and that it is just there to assist in areas like dense city streets where the iPhone's assisted GPS may not be sufficient.

Also, as pointed out by Noxian, the TomTom car dock might prove useful for iPhone 2G users with no GPS chip. Why should only the 3G users have all the fun?
QUOTE Thanks
Dad2b

like i told you........ they have admitted .The built in Tomtom chip set is not really up to the task of good GPS reception in a city. This issue would be the same with out a car. So in effect to truly use the tomtom , you will need to use the chip set built into the cradle...

no point of having a 3gs and hoping to use it as a full time GPS unit if the reception is going to be weak
QUOTE Thanks
Dad2b

And i wonder if they apple have asked them to keep the Cradle and 2g situation quiet for a bit.... maybe it will work? maybe it wont ! But apple will want to try and sell 3gs to old 2g owners etc first. until the cradle is out in the public domain we will have to wait and see !
QUOTE Thanks
RNDdave

RNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Alu MacBook | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | iPad2 (3G)

My thoughts here: clicky
QUOTE Thanks
bad.heron

bad.heron is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT

YouTube - Apple WWDC 2009 Keynote - TomTom for iPhone announcement by Peter-Frans Pauwels

If you listen, he says "Optional Accessory" - The TomTom car kit is not essential.

15.4" Apple Unibody Macbook Pro Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6.4), 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1066Mz DDR3 SDRAM (2x2GB), 128GB Solid State Drive (SSD), NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB, SuperDrive 8X - Apple Remote Infrared (IR) - Logitech MX Performance 2.4 GHz Wireless - Apple Keyboard Bluetooth - iPhone 4 32GB, Black
QUOTE Thanks
Sipper

Sipper is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 20" 2.66Ghz, 4Gb RAM, 320Gb HDD, OSX 10.5.6

Quote:
My understanding is that the antenna gets a boost by using the cradle, not the gps chip.

S
QUOTE Thanks
Dad2b

the cradle has a "Piggy back" chip set built into it which will switch out the internal 3gs one. Allowing for a faster and stronger signal path.

Ive seen one yesterday here in London that was been used by someone who i know who works for Tomtom UK. Its a lovely designed and built device. Same as my 730 units sucker. But i would love to do a A/B test with a normal 3gs and a tomtom cradled 3gs in the same car and see what happens.

You see..... as much as they are a good company. their attitude towards their customers etc is terrible and i wonder if they are putting rumors out to help sales of the cradle? If the whole package comes in at under £75 then maybe its a winner? But if it climbs to £100 then people will get more upset

But if its true and the iphone need "help" to truly perform, then i wonder if navigon have a cradle they will put on the market? If i was navigon i would want a active cradle out there very very fast.
QUOTE Thanks
Starr0w

Starr0w is on a distinguished road

Are the soon to come TomTom or the Navigon software suited for walking? Since I hear the battery drains so fast... I was wondering if it was useful for walking as well?
QUOTE Thanks
thecoolone1

thecoolone1 is an unknown at this point

i hope this is not true...i dont want to have to buy anymore than the app itself..
QUOTE Thanks
jwball

jwball is on a distinguished road

I use Navigon in the car utilising the built in gps and it works fine.
QUOTE Thanks
ProVoltz

ProVoltz is on a distinguished road

Sometimes I think we're all as bad as a sewing circle...

I have the Iphone 4, TomTom USA/Can app, and the TomTom cradle.

The app works fine without the cradle. The GPS reception is what you would expect, it's just as good or bad as any other Nav app.

The GPS reception with the cradle is excellent and very accurate.

The iPhone 4 fits in the cradle fine if you stick a little rubber pad on the cradle (you just trim one of those little feet you'd put on the bottom of something to make it non-slip... see pic)

The map app that comes with the phone is better for walking.

Hope this helps someone.

Ash
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How long did it take to get your iPhone 4 from the Apple website? | Anyone try iPhone 4 in the iPod touch TomTom cradle? »