New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Switching Sim card between two iPhones

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

skibrat

skibrat is on a distinguished road

I currently have the iPhone that I purchased in September. Now that the iPhone 3gS is out, I'd like that only solely for the video feature.

My husband said he wouldn't mind an iPhone, so I figured he could have my regular iPhone, and I could have his new one. I don't want to change my phone number, so I'd like to just switch the SIM cards between the two.

Would this work? They would be two legit iPhones, purchased at the store, and paid for monthly - no frills.....
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Yes, it "should" work just fine.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
corp_da20_guy

corp_da20_guy is on a distinguished road

I have a similiar situation. Both my wife and I have a 3G. Since I just bought it for her within the last 30 days I am about to return my wife's to take advantage of the new 3GS. My plan was to just simply switch SIM cards. What is the best way to setup each phone essentially as there were pre-switch? The new 3GS I should be able to activate it using iTunes and "restore" it as my present phone. But how about the phone I have now that will be my wife's? Reset all settings under General and then restore as her phone? Some input would be appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

I'm planning on doing essentaily the same exact thing... I spoke with ATT and they said it will work fine.

*NOTE: You'll need to have 2 $30 iPhone data plans though.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by corp_da20_guy View Post
I have a similiar situation. Both my wife and I have a 3G. Since I just bought it for her within the last 30 days I am about to return my wife's to take advantage of the new 3GS. My plan was to just simply switch SIM cards. What is the best way to setup each phone essentially as there were pre-switch? The new 3GS I should be able to activate it using iTunes and "restore" it as my present phone. But how about the phone I have now that will be my wife's? Reset all settings under General and then restore as her phone? Some input would be appreciated.
Sync the old iPhone first in iTunes on your user id. Then unplug the iPhone, log out of your user, log into your wife's user, swap SIM cards, plug the iPhone back in, run iTunes, and it will ask if you want to set this up as a new iPhone. Do so and it will wipe it clean.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
corp_da20_guy

corp_da20_guy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
Sync the old iPhone first in iTunes on your user id. Then unplug the iPhone, log out of your user, log into your wife's user, swap SIM cards, plug the iPhone back in, run iTunes, and it will ask if you want to set this up as a new iPhone. Do so and it will wipe it clean.
I am using the same iTunes account for both phones. Still shouldn't me much different right?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by corp_da20_guy View Post
I am using the same iTunes account for both phones. Still shouldn't me much different right?
I didn't know it'd let you even do that. Hmmm. No reason it couldn't, I suppose. Obviously it does for you, so.... hmm... Follow instructions below to reset the phones to factory-status after backing up your data, then switch SIMs.

Reset and Restore iPhone to Original Default Factory Settings with Recovery Mode » My Digital Life

Unless you and your wife want identical content with apps like the Address Book and iCal, then you should probably consider setting up her own user account on the computer so she can manage her iPhone to her liking/needs.

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
skibrat

skibrat is on a distinguished road

We got the new phone last night at the apple store in our mall. We then walked down to ATT store and asked if they could switch the numbers on the two. They did it no problem. Didn't switch the SIM card, just reprogrammed on their network. Took about five minutes. Great stuff!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« "Welcome" message doesn't go away... | 3G internet app is frozen »