New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone 3GS with current sim card?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mark W

Mark W is on a distinguished road

So here in the UK, O2 aren't planning on letting iPhone 3G customers upgrade to the 3GS - no way, no how.

However, they do plan on selling the 3GS on Pay as you Go.
Now... this gave me an idea: couldn't one just buy the 3GS on Pay as you Go, swap the sim cards and then sell the 3G?

Has anyone else has this idea? Do you think it would work? I can't think why it wouldn't.

 2009 17" Macbook Pro w/ 27" Cinema Display  2010 13" Macbook Air  64GB iPad  32GB iPhone 4  Original Apple TV
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
So here in the UK, O2 aren't planning on letting iPhone 3G customers upgrade to the 3GS - no way, no how.

However, they do plan on selling the 3GS on Pay as you Go.
Now... this gave me an idea: couldn't one just buy the 3GS on Pay as you Go, swap the sim cards and then sell the 3G?

Has anyone else has this idea? Do you think it would work? I can't think why it wouldn't.
It should work! I don't see a problem.

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
gotham

gotham is an unknown at this point

How much are they asking for it as a pay as you go phone? Next time I am over the pond I will get a new sim for over there thats great
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

What do you mean when you say they won't let you upgrade?? Do you mean they won't sell you a 3GS and put in on your account, or just that they sell it to you a the subsidized price? I really don't understand why they wouldn't allow you to buy one at full price and use it. Are they afraid of making money?

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
eliehass

eliehass has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM

my question regarding the sim cards, is that if you do swap sim cards, would the iphone 3g sim card be able to take advantage of the 7.2 Mbps HSDPA in the iphone 3gs? (i.e. is the 7.2 Mbps upgrade purely a hardware thing, or is it also something in the sim cards) Because even if a sim card swap would technically work, that would make me think twice.

shameless plug for my blog
QUOTE Thanks
DauntlessEagle

DauntlessEagle is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.4 ghz 320 GB HDD 2GB DDR3 RAM - iPhone 4s 32 GB Black

I have been wanting to know this same question !!! this is why I logged onto the forums at 7 in the morning !! ... lol ... I rang up 02 the other day and asked about the new iPhone 3G S and said i currently have the iPhone 3g .... upgraded from 1st GEN and the man on the phone said that I will not be able to upgrade till the end of my contract which is not until January !!!!! ... i got on the phone and then sat down in deep despair and though to myself ... wait a minute ... surely i can but the iPhone on Pay as you go ... or from the apple online store and then transfer my sim card from the iPhone 3G to the new iPhone 3GS ... surely it will work !!! or has it got something to do with the 3gs having HSDPA ... ???? does anyone know the answer to this question ... ? cheers

Jez.

Everything Mac !!!
QUOTE Thanks
iSy

iSy is on a distinguished road

I don't see the problem with that either, in fact its what I am planning to do next week as I sold my 3g today

I used to have a HTC Touch Pro aswel as my iPhone 3g and when putting the iPhone sim in the HTC it showed the H logo on signal when connected to the internet and would change to G or E when the signal lowered.

As far as I am aware 3g is all the same, its basically the device that limits the speed, plus i really cant see o2 having to produce special sims just for the iPhone, infact im pretty certain when you buy the iPhone it doesnt even come with a sim they give that to you from some other envelope which could be used for any phone you buy in the store so im certain using a iPhone 3g sim in the new 3gs will work to its full speed.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« cracked iphone screen | What apps dont work in 3.0 »