New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Just got hosed by Apple

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

txstchmike

txstchmike is on a distinguished road

Sent in iphone over some battery issues and magically get charged 200 dollars because they noticed water damage.... that the genius hadn't noticed.... that i had never gotten wet.... seems to me its an easy way to make some cash...
anyone else had this experience or any suggestions on what to do now?
QUOTE Thanks
Mr Macintosh

Mr Macintosh can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: New iMac 20" Leopard vs. 10.5.7

Yup, contact the Head Office at Apple (You'll find the Address on their website) and have a word with them.
Although first, it's worth trying to pace your mind back just to ensure that you really didn't spill water on it.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
txstchmike

txstchmike is on a distinguished road

Thanks Mr Mac,

I know for a fact it never got dropped in any liquid or was out in the rain or any of that sort of thing....that and the fact that had i know id be charged 200 dollars i wouldn't have sent it in... since i was planning on getting a new one in a bit when it came out anyway.... called up and they state they are going to research the case... i'm just disappointed in how it's being handled... especially since i've never had problems with them ever before... (family owns quite a few mac's , displays, and ipods..)
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

It should be a pretty open and shut case for them to investigate. There are moisture-sensitive labels on the inside that change colors in the presence of liquid.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
MBasile

MBasile has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook CoreDuo

Perhaps condensation got into it? You'd think a large company wouldn't need to scam people over $200, which makes me think that the moisture sensors WERE triggered.
QUOTE Thanks
gotham

gotham is an unknown at this point

yeah but how about when it is a 100% humidity out or say your phone is in the bath room when your taking a shower could set it off yet your phone never touched water.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotham View Post
yeah but how about when it is a 100% humidity out or say your phone is in the bath room when your taking a shower could set it off yet your phone never touched water.
Not that I've seen - the same sensitive labels are used in most cell phones and I've never seen it triggered unless there was direct contact.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Noxian

Noxian is a jewel in the roughNoxian is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle

The problem with those stickers they have in the phone is it can tripped by bringing the device from the cold outside to the warm inside or vice versa if you live in a warm climate air conditioned house to humid out doors.

Usually if a device has been exposed to water directly there will be other indicators like water spots and corrosion not just the stickers turning red.

I would call them up and complain. But dont get upset just explain the situation, and escalate if you don't get a decent response.
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

I know a guy who's water sensor was tripped in his 2G from leaving it in the bathroom while he was in the (steam) shower. Luckily for him he was able to convince Apple they replaced his phone for other unrelated problems.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Why would you bring your cell phone into the bathroom when you're having a shower? Are people really this busy and/or attached to their cell phones these days?

I hardly even notice mine - I even forgot to turn it on at all yesterday.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
Noxian

Noxian is a jewel in the roughNoxian is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Why would you bring your cell phone into the bathroom when you're having a shower? Are people really this busy and/or attached to their cell phones these days?

I hardly even notice mine - I even forgot to turn it on at all yesterday.
I used to bring my old cell into the wash room while I was having a shower if I was on call. Since I got my iPhone I don't dare. I can blow that SLA I am not killing my iPhone
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhone casing | Locked in to Vodafone options from iphone? »