New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iphone battery

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

spudd4242

spudd4242 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.0 C2D Black MacBook, Ram = 1gb, 120gb HDD

Hey all, i got my iphone last sunday, i'm here to inquire about the battery, maybe it takes a few cycles or i'm just over loading the phone, i'm jailbroken and last night before i went to bed i waited till my battery was fully charged and then i took it with me to my room. I went to bed around 3:30am. When i recieved a text at 11am, i was down to 20percent battery life, when i got up at noon i was down to 10%, Now i'm just wondering if it being jailbroken is using up that much of it's resources, or maybe cuz i have the wifi on, or what? maybe it's just cuz it's new? any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Have you tried restarting it? That's a glitch that I've experienced before when the battery would drain very quickly for no apparent reason. A simple restart would fix the issue.

Oh, and by restart I mean a hard restart, as in holding down the Power and Home buttons for a few seconds until you see the Apple logo

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
spudd4242

Alright.. I did a hard restart and charged back to full. @5pm i was full we will see how long it last..ive got 3g turnd off and ill use it sparingly... Maybe ive just been playimg with to much haha so muxh excitment. Nut that still doesnt explain last might so we will see
QUOTE Thanks
IanCT

IanCT will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4

Is auto lock turned off? That would cause the screen to stay lit and drain the battery if you don't manually put it into standby.

You shouldn't have to turn off 3G. Also check your screen brightness and WiFi (if not in use). When I say not in use, it seems to wear down the battery faster when not joined to a wireless network because it's scanning for available wireless connections. When joined, battery life seems longer because it takes less time to check email, surf, etc... than over 3G because there are less (and shorter) transmission packets being sent, a lot less handshaking than over 3G.

With screen brightness around one third, auto lock set to 2 minutes, WiFi on, Bluetooth Off, 3G Enabled, I get about 18 hours with light usage. 10 to 13 with medium usage. I also have Push enabled for Exchange Server and two additional IMAP email accounts. Phone is Jailbroken on 2.1.1 firmware.
QUOTE Thanks
spudd4242

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanCT View Post
Is auto lock turned off? That would cause the screen to stay lit and drain the battery if you don't manually put it into standby.

You shouldn't have to turn off 3G. Also check your screen brightness and WiFi (if not in use). When I say not in use, it seems to wear down the battery faster when not joined to a wireless network because it's scanning for available wireless connections. When joined, battery life seems longer because it takes less time to check email, surf, etc... than over 3G because there are less (and shorter) transmission packets being sent, a lot less handshaking than over 3G.

With screen brightness around one third, auto lock set to 2 minutes, WiFi on, Bluetooth Off, 3G Enabled, I get about 18 hours with light usage. 10 to 13 with medium usage. I also have Push enabled for Exchange Server and two additional IMAP email accounts. Phone is Jailbroken on 2.1.1 firmware.
I don't have 3g enabled because it's not available where i live, when i leave and go to a place where it is i'll turn it on. My wifi is on, my screen brightness is less than half, i've got an auto dim at 30 seconds, and lock at 1 minuet, my batter seemed to last a big longer yesterday with moderate use, still doesn't explain why it killed itself over night, but maybe that hard restart solved that.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

First gen - so no 3G - no push for Exchange server - def do not use it as an instant messaging service, WiFi on, Bluetooth on, brightness at 50%, auto lock at 1 minute, I use it to read everynight when I go to bed (though not for long), what I call regular phone usage during the day, use Maps & Weather quite frequently, and I have to charge it twice a week. My wife gets 5-6 days out of a charge on hers.

Just goes to show, really depends on how much you're using the thing as to how long the battery will last.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Add iPhone to exiting family plan. What're the hitches? | Speck Candyshell »