New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Add iPhone to exiting family plan. What're the hitches?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

WasabiTaylor

WasabiTaylor is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse

Hi all,

So I've been Googling around with this question and have had trouble finding something clear enough for me to understand. I also went to the AT&T boards but had a little trouble there too. I think my question is pretty straight forward.

I am on a family plan under my father's name, thus, I am not the primary line on the plan. My siblings and I pay our share to our father who handles the rest. I am thinking about upgrading to an iPhone this summer when I am eligible for an upgrade. We currently have more than enough minutes for the family and more than enough texts (most likely unlimited). My question is this: if I were to upgrade, what are my additional costs? I know I will have to pay some sort of required data fee ($30 a month?). Will I have to pay additional for the minutes or texts? These are already on the plan but I'm not sure if you're required to have some kind of special iPhone plan.

I've found this a complicated question to answer because I sometimes read that not being the primary number messes things up, or that you can only have 200 texts when on the iPhone, and all these other things. It seems to me it shouldn't be this hard to answer.

Basically, the decision on whether or not I get an iPhone is based on how much I'll be paying a month. As a college student, I can't afford much more than $30 a month for my phone. Thanks to any assistance you all can provide.

Best,
Taylor
QUOTE Thanks
Daddy Elmis

Daddy Elmis has a spectacular aura about

my understanding was that you'd still have the family share minutes, but you'd have the $30 data plan for the new iPhone. Call AT&T or stop by their store, you'll have your answer in about 30 seconds.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Daddy is correct. The iPhone fits in with any plan like any phone, you just pay extra for the data plan per iPhone.

EDIT: I do believe that with the 3G iPhone, the data plan does not include text messaging... you pay separately for that.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
WasabiTaylor

Thanks for the responses. I would have gone to the AT&T store and found out myself, but I'm studying abroad in London through May.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
EDIT: I do believe that with the 3G iPhone, the data plan does not include text messaging... you pay separately for that.
Is it fair to say my current texting plan will work as well?

Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

I believe your current texting plan will be applied to the iphone when you make the purchase.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
socalisurfing

socalisurfing is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, iMac G3, 3 iPods, iPhone 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerBookG4 View Post
I believe your current texting plan will be applied to the iphone when you make the purchase.
Yes it will... I had trouble questioning all the of the iPhone charges when I got mine on a family plan. You will be playing $30 data plus your minutes. The texts will be the same as before. At&t offers a $30 unlimited family plan texting, and that will be for the iPhone as well.

Once you go Mac you'll never go back.
QUOTE Thanks
WasabiTaylor

Great. Thanks so much for the information. I'm not eligible to upgrade until this summer, so I'll probably wait until Apple updates the iPhone in some way. Maybe they'll even make the plan better. Thanks again for the information.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhone chrome and black part not sitting right. | iphone battery »