New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone 3G and N networks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

aggie97

aggie97 will become famous soon enough

Does anyone know a way to get the iPhone 3G to recognize an N network? My iPhone cannot see my home network because I am running N. At least I think this is the problem. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

That shouldn't be the problem unless for some reason, your "N" network is not backwards compatible to slower devices. And it should be compatible.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
aggie97

I have an airport extreme set to the 5 ghz wireless frequency. I believe only the draft n will operate at this frequency. I guess one option would be to change to the 2.4 ghz frequency. Just like the wireless speed of 5 ghz.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Unfortunately, if you plan on using the iPhone on a wireless network, it has to be G compatible. So that rules out running it at N only speeds.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie97 View Post
I have an airport extreme set to the 5 ghz wireless frequency. I believe only the draft n will operate at this frequency. I guess one option would be to change to the 2.4 ghz frequency. Just like the wireless speed of 5 ghz.
The iPhone can only do 2.4Ghz b and g networks. If you switch to a mixed 2.4 Ghz g/n network, you'll still get n speeds if no "g" devices are on the network. Otherwise all devices will be limited to "g" speeds.
QUOTE Thanks
aggie97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
The iPhone can only do 2.4Ghz b and g networks. If you switch to a mixed 2.4 Ghz g/n network, you'll still get n speeds if no "g" devices are on the network. Otherwise all devices will be limited to "g" speeds.
Really wish they would make the iPhone n network compatible. I can configure my router to the 2.4 ghz g/n network, but the problem then is my network will basically always be running at g, because both me and my wife have iPhones and they are always on. We both would have to turn off wifi every time we are not using the phone on the network when we are at home.
QUOTE Thanks
IanCT

IanCT will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie97 View Post
Really wish they would make the iPhone n network compatible. I can configure my router to the 2.4 ghz g/n network, but the problem then is my network will basically always be running at g, because both me and my wife have iPhones and they are always on. We both would have to turn off wifi every time we are not using the phone on the network when we are at home.
There really isn't any benefit of having an 802.11n capable iPhone since there are no file transfers taking place over the WiFi that require such speed. I don't think they will add that capability anytime soon. But I could be wrong.

You could add an Airport Express, set it up to be an 802.11g router. Plug in it's ethernet connection to your existing router so it will get an IP address, give it a different SSID (ie: If your current one is MyWireless, make it MyWirelessG on the Express).

In my network, I have an 802.11g Airport in my shop that feeds the Express in my kids room, and in my office in the house is my 802.11n Airport that feeds the Time Capsule and AppleTV and is set for "N only". Therefore when I'm home, my iPhone uses the signal provided for by the Express (or Base Station if I'm in my shop).

Hope this helps.
QUOTE Thanks
NPuter

NPuter is a jewel in the roughNPuter is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
is that really true?
So if I have all my wireless devices running at n (macbook, mbp, and an ibm laptop) and then connect a g device (iPhone), I will not get n speeds between the n devices because one g device is also connected?
I hope I am being clear enough...

"The forums are not only a place to have questions answered, they are a place to be part of a community..."
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPuter View Post
is that really true?
So if I have all my wireless devices running at n (macbook, mbp, and an ibm laptop) and then connect a g device (iPhone), I will not get n speeds between the n devices because one g device is also connected?
You are, and that is correct.

This is part of the reason I run 2 routers and 2 wireless networks.

This is not really an issue for e-mail, IM, browsing the web, etc. You will really only notice the difference when downloading or moving larger files around the network.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Quote:
is that really true?
Yes I believe it is on Apple's support site it will always
go to g when g is detected if its set 2.4 and 5 but will
return to n when those devices are no longer in play.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
is that really true?
Not always true, it depends on the router. Some routers are smart in that they don't drag down the speed of the entire network when a G device is connected. Rather, they only lower the speed when a slower device and a faster device are interacting with one another. Otherwise, when two N devices are interacting, they go at full speed, despite the fact that a G device is connected.

I don't know whether the Airport Extreme is one of these routers, but I know for certain that my D-Link DIR-655 had this capability.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
IanCT

IanCT will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4

I don't believe the Airport Extreme is one of those types of routers. I believe you have to get a router that has dual radios, one for G and one for N.

Since I separated my wireless networks and have the previous Extreme "G" on one SSID, and the Extreme "N" on another (in N only mode) I notice much faster file transfers to my Apple TV from my iMac.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« When to buy an iPhone | Where'd the wifi go? »