New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

When to buy an iPhone

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jtmitts

jtmitts is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

Finally made the switch to Mac--ordered a Macbook and now want an iPhone. My question is: when should I buy it? I know Schiller said that the iPhone lifecycle is "June", so maybe this June Apple will release iPhone 3.0--or drop the price on the existing models. What do you all think? Worth waiting until June/July? My only concern: if Apple doesn't release new hardware until June *2010*, maybe it's best to buy the iPhone now and take advantage of upgrade pricing then.

Your thoughts? iPhone 3.0/price drop/etc. in June 2009 or June 2010?

Josh
QUOTE Thanks
IanCT

IanCT will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4

Not sure what more they can add to a newer iPhone that can't be taken care of with an OS upgrade (ie: 2.2 to 2.3 or 3.0) other than hardware upgrades like a 3 megapixel camera, more capacity (32GB) or smaller footprint.

None of which would affect me either way because I hardly use the camera, 8GB is more than enough for me and the iPhone is small enough for my hands as it is.

I would get one now if you really can't wait - the only thing that kept me from getting the first gen iPhone was lack of 3G and GPS. Once the 2nd gen was released I got one immediately.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Buy one when you need it. If you can wait, then wait. If not, then the current iPhone is an amazing little device and you will be more than happy with it.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Z mannn R2

Z mannn R2 will become famous soon enough

I wouldn't wait......they've crammed just about everything they can into the iphone and the software will continue to get better with updates so go get it!!
QUOTE Thanks
jtmitts

jtmitts is on a distinguished road

It is hard to wait, but I suspect that in June Apple will release a super-powerful model that is worth waiting for...
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Not so sure they will the economy is not so good more layoffs each month
that means less people buying shinny new products.
QUOTE Thanks
livinitup1

livinitup1 is on a distinguished road

No no, Apple still needs to add new battery tech to the iPhone so it has a longer battery life. They'd most likely add a faster processor too. Whether it's Silver-Zinc or just the better batteries like the Macbook Pro, Apple should address this in June/July. Maybe make the iPhone compatible with N networks and make it thinner. The chances of an iPhone Nano are highly slim because if the screen gets any smaller it'd be even harder to type. Maybe Apple has more innovative things planned for the iPhone than we don't even know about. You never know with Apple.

I can't believe I actually thought the iPhone Nano was coming just because people made cases for it.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinitup1 View Post
No no, Apple still needs to add new battery tech to the iPhone so it has a longer battery life. They'd most likely add a faster processor too. Whether it's Silver-Zinc or just the better batteries like the Macbook Pro, Apple should address this in June/July. Maybe make the iPhone compatible with N networks and make it thinner. The chances of an iPhone Nano are highly slim because if the screen gets any smaller it'd be even harder to type. Maybe Apple has more innovative things planned for the iPhone than we don't even know about. You never know with Apple.

I can't believe I actually thought the iPhone Nano was coming just because people made cases for it.
Those smaller cases could still materialize into a smaller TOUCH
which might make more sense.
QUOTE Thanks
livinitup1

livinitup1 is on a distinguished road

Well, I'd suggest getting the iPhone after the June 2009 update. I'm most likely getting a 16GB model because they'd probably add a 32GB model to their line making the 16GB version $100 cheaper. The processor in the iPhone will be a lot faster and it will probably have a bunch of new features that we don't know about so wait until June 2009 before you decide. I'm not sure if they'll drop the price again now that it's already available to the international market but who knows.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinitup1 View Post
Well, I'd suggest getting the iPhone after the June 2009 update. I'm most likely getting a 16GB model because they'd probably add a 32GB model to their line making the 16GB version $100 cheaper. The processor in the iPhone will be a lot faster and it will probably have a bunch of new features that we don't know about so wait until June 2009 before you decide. I'm not sure if they'll drop the price again now that it's already available to the international market but who knows.
From everything I read the reason they went with the arm prossessor in the
first place was battery life thats not saying they will not up the anti but better
batteries will probably come first.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

The iPhone's processor is already running at 667MHz, making it one of the fastest handhelds out in the market. What Apple needs to do is not add an even faster processor (that would decrease battery life) but rather to streamline the iPhone OS much in the same way it's doing with Snow Leopard. Look at the Palm Pre, it's seemingly much faster than the iPhone OS, even though the latter has faster hardware. If not 2.3, then let's hope this is on the table for 3.0 at the very latest.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
iPaull

iPaull is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Air

if you want the next generation iPhones, then wait it out for another 4-5 months.

but if i were you, i'd go with the iPhone 3G. I LOVE MINE.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhone improvements you would like to see. | iPhone 3G and N networks »