New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Dead iPhone 3G

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Del

Del has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ

So I received an SMS message and ignored it, then the phone vibrated again shortly after to remind me I had a message and I went to unlock the phone to read it, the phone just died.

Pressing either button does not wake it up.

Plugging it in to the computer or the mains charger doesn't wake it up either.

What gives? Any way to do a hard reset or anything to force it back to life?

Luckily I still have my older generation jail broken iPhone and am using it until I can revive the 3G model.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

This should help. How to enter DFU Restore Mode

Also, since it's definitely still under warranty, why not just take it in to get fixed??

Good luck!

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
PapaNoHair

PapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nice

You know you bring up an interesting point: how is a hard reset done in a phone where you cannot remove the battery?? The manual doesn't address how to do that??
QUOTE Thanks
Del

Del has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post

Also, since it's definitely still under warranty, why not just take it in to get fixed??

Good luck!
Cheers lad, even though it wouldnt turn on the DFU mode thing worked (after the 2nd attempt)
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

You're welcome. Glad it worked. I've read that it's the last ditch effort to revive a dead iPhone (or useful in unlocking) and helped a lot of people. Thankfully I've never had to use it for myself.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
yasSon

yasSon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post

Good luck!
I just joined this forum to say thanks to you, my phone literally just died too. I was in the sun, probably about 30c outside, took 2 photos, put it straight back in my pocket and went to get it out again and it had died. I went to that site, followed the holding buttons method, didn't even need to connect to iTunes and it's back.

So thanks to your advice you have managed to make my trip back to the UK far far less stressful as I can listen to my music and make important calls/emails!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Beware! | iPhone OS 4.0 Beta 3 back up "refused request" »