New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Thinking about getting a 3G iphone Need info first, 3G Owners Plz take a look.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Retromoe

Retromoe is on a distinguished road

Im planning on going from T-Mobile to AT&T to get the Iphone 3G, Tmobile has been good and all but they lack of 3G phones and Good phones period, There prices were also friendly, Im going for a 700 Minute plan along with 4 lines including mines. Am I paying too much on my current T-Mobile bill? Or even if i switch will i be paying almost the same charge? Heres this month's Bill :

The 386 was last month's bill including the purchase of the G1, So it added up to 587 With this months bill, This month's Bill was 200.70, Thats 4 lines, 400 Messaging, Internet. Only 1 Phone has 400 Txt messaging and Internet, The other 3 phones are just plain minutes.

Paying too much? Yes or No
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Are you bringing all 4 lines to AT&T or just one for the iPhone?

My average bill, for one iPhone, is right at $100/month for 450 Min, 5000 Night/weekend, rollover, unlimited text and unlimited Internet. If you are getting 4 iPhones the price may drop a bit per phone with the package deals and limited text/internet access.

QUOTE Thanks
babyb

babyb is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.16 MacBook Pro

woohoa!

My giddy aunt! You guys in the states don't half pay for your phones! My 3G iPhone costs me £30 per month with free unlimited data here in the UK... thats circa US$45-50
Oddly though we don't get free texts, which I always thought should be covered by data tarrifs but thats for another topic.

My advice to anyone buying an iPhone is make sure you're on a free data tarrif. The iPhone is ALL about the web and it could get very expensive without that free data.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Wow! I don't even know anyone important enough to spend $400 or $500 a month talking to. ~$90 a month here for 1 iPhone 3G and 1 RAZR v3 on an AT&T Family plan with unlimited data and no text (I'm an adult).

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
Retromoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Are you bringing all 4 lines to AT&T or just one for the iPhone?

My average bill, for one iPhone, is right at $100/month for 450 Min, 5000 Night/weekend, rollover, unlimited text and unlimited Internet. If you are getting 4 iPhones the price may drop a bit per phone with the package deals and limited text/internet access.
Im bringing all 4 lines over, 1 Iphone, And 3 Regular phones, For a 700 minute plan, Since i cant get the 500 Minute plan.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I have not looked at the family rate plans yet since my wife still has time on her Verizon contract. Hopefully someone else here who is on one of them can help you out more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
Wow! I don't even know anyone important enough to spend $400 or $500 a month talking to. ~$90 a month here for 1 iPhone 3G and 1 RAZR v3 on an AT&T Family plan with unlimited data and no text (I'm an adult).
If you read his post, part of the $387 was the purchase of a G-1 so it wasn't all talk. The $200/month is about what my Verizon plan was like for 4 of us before me and my oldest dropped off it (I went to AT&T and she went to T-Mobile, long story). We had 1400 Min, limited text (varying from line to line) and limited data (varying from line to line) and unlimited night/weekend.

QUOTE Thanks
Z mannn R2

Z mannn R2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
and no text (I'm an adult).
hi I'm a stupid childish lil kid!
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z mannn R2 View Post
hi I'm a stupid childish lil kid!
Me too. I text all the time.

QUOTE Thanks
Retromoe

Anyone think's i should make the switch?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Only have 2 phones on our contract. Both are iPhone 1st gen. So, not 3G.
700 minutes, unlimited nights and weekends, unlimited mobile to mobile on the AT&T network, unlimited internet, 200 text messages (neither of us use this at all). Haven't had them a year yet and have over 5,000 roll over minutes.

First phone is $80. The additional phone is only $10, but since it is an iPhone also, have to pay them another $20 for data plan on it. So, base rate is $110 and $125 after all the extraneous taxes. My understanding is that the 3G pays an additional $10 per month more than the 1st gen. for the (supposed, in some cases I've read) increased bandwidth.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Retromoe

Im looking at my cart now, 4 Phones, 1 Iphone, and my Monthly Bar shows - 124.97 thats internet and 200 txt messages not much of a bad deal? I dont see how you guys are paying 125 a month or more.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

The math is pretty easy.
Mine is $110 because of 2 iPhones. If only one was an iPhone, it would only be $90. First iPhone (1st gen) is $80 and $10 for the additional phone.

The 3G is I think $90 or 95 and then $10 for each additional phone. With 3, that would be $125 base rate. If you were to stick 3 more iPhones on there though, each additional would run you $30 instead of $10 because they charge the full price for the data plan for each phone. Total for 4 iPhones on a single plan would be $185.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
maz94protege

maz94protege will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo

I had tmobile with a blackberry pearl, I miss the cheap Internet @ $9.99 month. I currently have a family plan on verizon for family and added a line on a relative to get the iPhone.

I would look into getting an unlocked iPhone to bring it to tmobile unless your contract is up angle you are planning to bring that line or all the line over to AT&T. No issues so far with AT&T or the iPhone.

Hope you get all your questions answered
QUOTE Thanks
Retromoe

The 3G Iphone will be unlocked on the 31st of this month, Thing i want to get rid of my 2G before the value goes down, and the 3G service isnt going to work on T-mobile network since its a different band.
QUOTE Thanks
slashjunior

slashjunior is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyb View Post
woohoa!

My giddy aunt! You guys in the states don't half pay for your phones! My 3G iPhone costs me £30 per month with free unlimited data here in the UK... thats circa US$45-50
Oddly though we don't get free texts, which I always thought should be covered by data tarrifs but thats for another topic.

My advice to anyone buying an iPhone is make sure you're on a free data tarrif. The iPhone is ALL about the web and it could get very expensive without that free data.
That's true. I am paying £35 a month here, 600 mins, 500 texts (that is only for sending, we don't get charged for receiving) and unlimited data.

Maybe it's because I don't live in the US, but all this seems over-complicated with all these family plans, data plans...I don't think we even do family plans over here. Most kids aren't allowed monthly contracts they usually have cheap PAYG (pre-pay) phones. Does that mean you have 700 mins to share across all 4 phones? What happens if one of the kids goes over? You have to foot the bill?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Why no Applecare in the UK | Refurbished iPhone: New Case or Not? »