New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Broken iPhone Advice on New One

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jdgti

jdgti will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM

Hi All,

I dropped my 1st gen iPhone in the snow on my last ski trip and it is slowly but surely losing its features. I know I have some serious water damage because meaningless tasks like turning the phone off and on causes serious issues. I am fine with this and understand it is time for a new phone.

So, I am trying to decide what to do. I have a couple questions.

1.) If I buy a 1st gen, unopened iPhone on Craigslist, Ebay, etc. can I just swap out my SIM card like another phone and be good to go after 'Activating' via iTunes? Will I encounter any issues later with updates etc?

2.) If I buy a 1st gen, opened iPhone that someone has used/Activated and then pop in my SIM card, will I be good to go if I do the same as question 1? If not, why? Is 'Activation' more than activation of the SIM card?

3.) If I buy a 3G iPhone online, and then I take it home and open it up, how can i keep my old number? Also, if I upgrade to 3G contract via ATT will there be any issues using a 3G iphone online for this? again, if I buy a used one, are there any things I should be aware of?

4.) Also, if I buy a 'Jailbroken' iPhone I can Restore it in iTunes and it will be like new right? I'll still be able to update and everything via apple?

5.) I should avoid phones selling with 'Unlocked' mentioned correct? You can't go back to factory once you have unlocked as I understand it.

Thanks,

jdgti
QUOTE Thanks
maz94protege

maz94protege will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo

You can always restore it back to factory. I'd your on AT&T just don't worry about looking for an unlocked phone.

You should have no problem with syncing iTunes, just pop In your current sim and go
QUOTE Thanks
jdgti

jdgti will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM

Thanks!

Question, with 'unlocked' iPhones, should I be worried about anything with them? If i just sync it up and activate it through iTunes I won't have a problem using it or getting upgrades or keeping my current number?

Also, with 3G ones, can I just pop my sim card in and use a 3G one as 2G until I get the money to upgrade my contract?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help My Friend Save His iPhone | I want to add an old (before 2.0) iPhone app to my phone - is this possible? »