New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iphone vs blackberry

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ian_x

Ian_x is on a distinguished road

Hi guys, I know I am probably asking for trouble here as this is obviously a Mac site but I would love to get opinions.

I was about to get an iphone in the next few days. But a friend started telling me about the Blackberry, which I have never considered before, and its sounds pretty good. I haven never really looked at them and I know I could check it out on the internet but just wondered if anyone had maybe used both or had looked at the pros and cons of both before?

The other thing I wondered was if I was to get the iphone now, how likely wil it be that they will unveil another better model in 6 months or so. Have there been any rumours or news?

Thanks very much for any info/help!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Blacberries in general are very nice email devices. They work as a smartphone too, but traditionally, multimedia has been a weak area. The latest Blackberry Storm is supposed to solve that problem and it looks very nice, but I've read quite a few negative reviews, most of them centered around the clickable screen. In particular, it seems that you have to click and release before you can click another letter, so two-handed entry is difficult. I was seriously considering a Storm before it was released because I'm on Verizon and very happy with their network, but I think I'm going to wait for the next revision before making the jump.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Unless you're firing off a lot of emails or simply need a tactile keyboard, I would stay away from Blackberry if you're just a casual user. The iPhone is far better suited for normal everyday people. Now if you're considering the latest Blackberry Storm with the touch screen, then I would recommend you stay far far away as it is nowhere near being on par with the iPhone in terms of features and usability.

As for when the next iPhone will be released, nobody knows for certain. However, if we go by past release dates, then it's likely that we'll see a new version in summer 2009.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
rogerinlondon

rogerinlondon will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacPro 2,66GHz 10GB RAM NV 8800GT Cinema 30" * MBP 15" Glossy 2.33 GHz 2 Duo 3GB RAM 160GB HD

For work (loads of e-mails) I would have nothing else than a BlackBerry, for private use nothing else than an iPhone.
QUOTE Thanks
thetruth

thetruth is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz Blackbook, 4GB memory, 250GB HD

I have the Blackberry Storm and although it has software issues, its still a good device. I new update is expected in a month or so which is suppose to solve a lot of issues.

Loving OSX!!!
QUOTE Thanks
maz94protege

maz94protege will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo

I have used macs and blackberries for years, I am biased to them but you do have to either be someonethat will use mobile websites as well as lots of emailing and blackberry apps for you to really get the fullusage from. A blackberry.

I took the leap last week to get an iPhone 3g, it's a great devic, easy to use for a mac user like myself and I tend to find more things I can do on here rather then the blackberry.

Both devices sync uptothe macs and windows computers, and have free apps for both devices as well.

Best thing to do is to in the store and play with both, see what one you like better, it's all personal preferance
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

If you do a lot of mobile email work, Blackberry is second to none. However, the internet browsing experience on the Blackberry leaves much to be desired. If email is your big concern, go with the Blackberry. If you're looking for a rich multimedia experience, check out the iPhone.
QUOTE Thanks
Ian_x

Ian_x is on a distinguished road

thanks guys, went with the iphone in the end!
QUOTE Thanks
maz94protege

maz94protege will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo

Sweet congrats on the new device!
QUOTE Thanks
MacNNJ

MacNNJ is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Blk MacBook 2.16 Ghz C2D, 2GB RAM, 160 GB HD OS X & iPhone 4 32GB

I was teetering between the BB Storm and the iPhone. I was a Verizon customer for over 8 years, but the Storm kept on being delayed. So, I took the plunge and got an iPhone 3G. I'm happy I did. The only quirk is that on occassion Safari crashes, but I found this only happens when I am viewing one particular website. Unfortunately, it is another forum website that I can not stay away from. I had hoped it would be addressed in the last update, but some of the Safari issues were addressed. I did have to get a repalcement iPhone after the update, due to a large number of dropped calls. Since the replacement, I have not dropped any calls (knocks on wood).

Overall, I'm very happy with my iPhone.
QUOTE Thanks
tplyons

tplyons is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook 2.0gHz, 2GB RAM, Leopard

I had Verizon for seven years before switching to AT&T to get the iPhone. I hate the service but I love the phone.

Then when I saw commercials for the new Blackberry Storm, I wondered why they didn't come out with it sooner so I could have stayed with Verizon. Well, my mom stayed with Verizon and so did one of the guys I live with. They both got the Storm and they both like my iPhone better. That's three votes for the iPhone, none for the Storm.
QUOTE Thanks
flowrider

flowrider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini i7, MBP 2.2GHz, Hackintosh (retired)

+1 to what everyone has said here already.

I would add that in my experience the call quality on a BB is superior to the iPhone. Maybe it's because I'm nearly deaf and the you can crank up the call volume on the BB.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I've played with the storm and it has a lot of issues. Navigation is really slow compared to the iPhone as well as the browser (for things like zooming in on a page). Even though the Storm has a higher res screen, the video playback on the iPhone is much better. People say the storm has a lot of basic features the iPhone lacks, but the storm is lacking certain basics as well like wifi (and is it even 3G?) Stereo bluetooth I can do without unless someone finally makes bluetooth headphones I would actually use in public. The click screen is terrible and slows down typing a lot: a solution to a problem that never existed. I've never found the lack of tactile response on my iPhone to be problematic. Also Apple's App Store will be superior to anything Blackberry puts out for a long time.

All in all the Storm is a good device and a good option for people stuck with Verizon, but the iPhone is still the champ IMHO despite its continuing lack of standard features.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
TamiRene

TamiRene is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook, Black, 13.3 inch, glossy screen, super cool

I've been a Blackberry user for years. I tried the iPhone for a week and couldn't stand that AT&T service (dropped called, no service in areas I normally had no problem with when I had Verizon, etc.) I agree that when purchasing a phone, you have to decide how you plan to use it. Heavy email users-definitely get a Blackberry, it's one place where Blackberry shines. For those who like lots of apps and multimedia-get an iPhone. I loved the iPhone, but like the Blackberry Storm better for my needs.

"There are those who talk, and without knowledge or forethought reveal a truth which they themselves do not understand."

-Khalil Jibran
QUOTE Thanks
iPhoneAddict

iPhoneAddict is on a distinguished road

Not saying that either is perfect but i have heard so many problems with the blackberry and they have to be half the community of apple!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPod Earphones for Web Chatting | Blakc or White? Which one you like? »