New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Best iPhone 3G Car Charger

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacNNJ

MacNNJ is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Blk MacBook 2.16 Ghz C2D, 2GB RAM, 160 GB HD OS X & iPhone 4 32GB

What is the best iPhone 3G car charger out there?

I do not need one that plays tunes, just in case I need to charge a weak battery.

There's the Griffin PowerJolt or the Incase 2-in1 Wall & Car Charger

The Griffin can be used in the car or off a Mac/PC. PC what's that?

Or, is there just a cigarette lighter/accessory jack adapter for the Apple Dock Connector to USB Cable.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I use the PowerJolt.

schweb | community leader
flickr » facebook » twitter » tumblr » google+ » about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I actually bought the Belkin Dual Charger. I can charge my iPhone/iPod and keep my TomTom GPS plugged in all at the same time.

QUOTE Thanks
JuanGuapo

JuanGuapo is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: uMBP 2.66/4GB/320GB; iMac 2.66Ghz/4GB/320GB; Apple TV; Black iPhone 3G 16GB

Incase charger...all the way. It's nice if you need to charge your iPhone at work, and it's all-in-one.
QUOTE Thanks
MacNNJ

Can I use a Universal USB Cigarette Lighter Adapter with the Apple Dock Connector to USB Cable?

I compared the technical data to the Griffin PowerJolt and they are not the same, plus the PowerJolt has a fuse.

The PowerJolt & Incase are both certified by Apple, so I am hesitant to purchase anything else. But, the Universal USB is waranteed for life compared to one year.

PowerJolt Specifications:
  • Input: 12 - 14Vdc
  • Output: 5.2Vdc;500mA
  • Maximum Current: 2 Amp
  • Fuse Type: 2 Amp blade-type mini-auto fuse
Universal USB Specifications:
  • Input: 12 - 24Vdc
  • Output: 5.5Vdc;700mA
QUOTE Thanks
ebelp

ebelp is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4ghz MacBook, 16gb white iPhone 3G, 16gb iPod Touch, 4gb iPod Mini

I use the Griffin iPhone car charger than AT&T sells. It works, but it's a little bothersome how short the cord is.

Car Charger - Apple iPhone - Cell Phone Accessories - | Wireless from AT&T, formerly Cingular
QUOTE Thanks
MacNNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebelp View Post
I use the Griffin iPhone car charger than AT&T sells. It works, but it's a little bothersome how short the cord is.

Car Charger - Apple iPhone - Cell Phone Accessories - | Wireless from AT&T, formerly Cingular
That one is NOT the Powerjolt. I think the PowerJolt has a longer cord and can be used in the car or with your computer.
QUOTE Thanks
gotham

gotham is an unknown at this point

I use the Griffin iPhone car charger than AT&T sells and have the Incase charger too I find the Griffin is much stronger in construction the Incase feels cheap. but the cord is short on the Griffin
QUOTE Thanks
iLaw

iLaw is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2010), iPhone 3GS

I use the Griffin PowerJolt SE. It's the same as the regular PowerJolt, but it's a direct connection of power, it doesn't go through USB. Plug straight from the cig lighter to the phone.

Great Product. The fact that it has a user-replaceable fuse in case of a surge is a big plus.

iLaw
MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2010) + White 32GB Rogers iPhone 3GS
2.66 GHz Intel Core i7, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, 500 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive, Intel HD/512 MB GeForce 330M Graphics, Hi-Res 15" Glossy Screen, Mac OS X v10.6
QUOTE Thanks
odenkun

odenkun is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 3.2QC, 27" (Oct 2012), iPad (3rd)、iPhone 5

I use Griffin Powerjolt but I do agree with ebelp regarding the length of cord. I also use Griffin WindowSeat and the shorter cord makes it difficult to reach to the iPhone when charge is needed.
QUOTE Thanks
SnakeD77

SnakeD77 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.8 GHz 4GB RAM 320GB HD / iPhone 3G 16GB

I use this one: InCharge Auto™ for iPod and iPhone: Power and charge your iPhone or iPod in any vehicle
QUOTE Thanks
walkum13

walkum13 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.4 ghz/Iphone 4/Ipod 4th Gen/More Coming I'm sure, too bad for my wallet ;)

Does anyone have a Charger with a Line out?? My monster worked for my Ipod and my first gen iphone but the stupid thing doesn't work for the Iphone 3G...it gives me some crap about not being able to charge this device

QUOTE Thanks
JoeSRocha

JoeSRocha is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by odenkun View Post
I use Griffin Powerjolt but I do agree with ebelp regarding the length of cord. I also use Griffin WindowSeat and the shorter cord makes it difficult to reach to the iPhone when charge is needed.
This one is pretty long I found. real cheap 2!

inspiretech.com: Apple iPhone 3G Car Charger, iPhone 3G Car Charger

Never heard of them but i stumbled onto the site. Must be new.
QUOTE Thanks
tplyons

tplyons is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook 2.0gHz, 2GB RAM, Leopard

I use the PowerJolt SE, no USB jack, just a coiled cord. One piece design works great for me.

$20 here: Griffin PowerJolt SE Car Charger for iPod or iPhone - Apple Store (U.S.)
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Powerjolt SE so far so good and I like the status light red for charge amber
for half charge and green full charge.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple In-Ear Headphones | New iPhone User »