New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone - worth getting?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ojdude

ojdude is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" Intel (Aluminium) iMac - 2.0 Ghz

Hi There,

I'm am highly considering getting an iPhone - because, well.. it's pretty awesome!

But there are few things that are holding me back and I was wondering if you wouldn't mind clearing these up for me...
  • I always have my phone in my pocket - so I worry about the iPhone getting scratched up with loose change, keys etc that might also be in my pocket - is this an issue?
  • Is the iPhone heavy and bulky (stick out) inside your average pocket of jeans/trousers?
  • How is it for using the internet - has 3G really made a lot of difference or is it slow?
  • Has anyone really missed Bluetooth?
  • Is receiving picture messages difficult? I heard you have to follow an internet link or something - can't you just get them in your message?
  • Will i get mugged if someone sees me with an iPhone? lol

Many thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
shokosugi

shokosugi is on a distinguished road

i always have my iphone in my pocket and no scratch at all, although i wouldn't put it in the same pocket as my keys.

it's not heavy.

3G is ofcourse faster than EDGE, how much faster? it depends in your area. some people experience 2-5 times faster than EDGE, sometimes it seems like there isn't much difference. Also, 3G is not available in some areas so your iPhone might use EDGE most of the time.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

1. I always keep mine in my pocket as well, though I tend not to put anything else in the pocket with me. While the screen is pretty scratch resistant, the plastic back isn't, so keep that in mind when deciding which pocket to put it in.

2. The iPhone is extremely slim, so unless you wear ridiculously tight pants, you won't even notice it's there. I remember when I first got it I had to keep checking to make sure it hadn't fallen out.

3. 3G is pretty fast, much faster than EDGE. Though this really depends on your location as some parts of the country have better 3G coverage. AT&T has a map on its website depicting its coverage area for 3G, check to see if you fall under that area.

4. Not sure what you mean by missing Bluetooth. The iPhone has it, though you can only use it for headsets and not for transferring files.

5. I personally don't send or receive MMS messages, so I can't give you any details about it. However, I hear there are several workarounds for sending MMS messages.

6. It really depends on where you live, but yes, there is always that possibility.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojdude View Post
But there are few things that are holding me back and I was wondering if you wouldn't mind clearing these up for me...

I always have my phone in my pocket - so I worry about the iPhone getting scratched up with loose change, keys etc that might also be in my pocket - is this an issue?
No - not at all.
Quote:
Is the iPhone heavy and bulky (stick out) inside your average pocket of jeans/trousers?
Not for me.
Quote:
How is it for using the internet - has 3G really made a lot of difference or is it slow?
No comment, I have the original iPhone.
Quote:
Has anyone really missed Bluetooth?
It has bluetooth.. but I do miss sending files and contacts occasionally.
Quote:
Is receiving picture messages difficult? I heard you have to follow an internet link or something - can't you just get them in your message?
There's no real MMS support - but no-one I know really uses it anyway.
Quote:
Will i get mugged if someone sees me with an iPhone? lol
Don't be an idiot and flash it around on dark street corners at midnight and you should be fine.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Quote:
I always have my phone in my pocket - so I worry about the iPhone getting scratched up with loose change, keys etc that might also be in my pocket - is this an issue?
I use this case: Welcome to SwitchEasy
And it rocks! Both my wife and I have had a lot of compliments, she has the Monstera color and I have the Arctic (clear). When I put it in my pocket, I make sure it's by itself... this is an expensive piece of equipment, no use taking too many chances with it.

Quote:
Has anyone really missed Bluetooth?
I don't miss it at all.. I use it for my earpiece...

Quote:
Is receiving picture messages difficult? I heard you have to follow an internet link or something - can't you just get them in your message?
Yeah it's really annoying, I have a couple people SMS me some photos and it's kind of a pain to get them. I really hope they do something about that in the near future.
QUOTE Thanks
mojofilter

mojofilter is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.16 Ghz Core 2, Apple PowerMac G5 Quad, iPhone 3G, Ipod Classic 160 gig.

Get one ......

I've had several "smart phones" and I've got more use out of my iPhone than any of my previous phones ..

I have an invisibleSHIELD on my iphone and it's great, adds no extra weight to the phone but stops it getting marked ....
QUOTE Thanks
takadante

takadante will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.14ghz || 120GB || IPHONE 3G 8GB JBken 4GB RAM || <3

Get it.

I went from a Blackberry Curve to the iPhone and will never go back, EVER.

In fact, my iPhone got stolen yesterday. Of course I bought the 3G

You honestly get everything you need, and more from this phone. MMS is hardly something THAT necessary; it is a sacrifice you should be willing to make, especially since there is a workaround if you really need to recieve/send a picture at any specific time.

Get it.

Get it.

Just my $0.02
QUOTE Thanks
Lytheil

Lytheil is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Alu 13.3 Inch , 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 duo , 2.2gb 667 DDR2 SDRAM & Ipod Touch 16gb

I decided on a HTC Touch Pro like 2 seconds ago. And after hearing Gadgets from CNET TV. I'm already changing my mind. I so hate this T________T

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« unlocked iphone | If you have jailbroken your iPhone, your default root password is “alpine.” »