Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5
    Question about iPhone 3G 16 GB - BestBuy & AT&T?
    Good evening every one,

So I am planning to buy an iPhone 3G 16 GB black, I can buy it from my country here but it's worth like $1200, rip off since it's unlocked and shipped; you know taxes and stuff. I heard that I can buy it from AT&T or BestBuy for only $300, but they said that it came with year plans or what ever? which of course means LOCKED. Some people told me that I can buy it from AT&T by a 2-years-plan for $300, but some of them say that I'll have to pay monthly fees, plus I have to be a citizen or at least living in the States, and other said that once I pay the $300 it's mine and I can do what ever with it, but it's still going to be locked, so I don't know which side to believe. I went to bestbuy's website and found it for sale, $300 as I was old, but when I viewed Specifications, it said Network Provider: AT&T which means locked, but can I buy it without a plan? Which means looked but, whenever I try and unlock it, I can pop in my sim card and use it while I am here in Cairo. Here's the link of the BestBuy item I'm talking about http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218009737378

So I need some one to explain how this goes, and if I can take it to my country, unlock it, pop in my simcard and it'd work just fine; and also if it's possible without having to pay monthly fees of course because I am not going to be in the country itself by then. Thank you very much!

Specs:
    Anyone? Come on people, I need this answer! Lol :p

Specs:
    15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
    First of all, you cannot buy an iPhone 3G from AT&T (or BestBuy) without signing up for a 2-year contract... There were speculations of a "contract free" version, but so far that has not happened.
    So if you want to buy an iPhone from AT&T or BestBuy, you are going to be stuck paying monthly bills for at least 2 years unless you pay the early termination fee to get out of your contract.

Here is how the iPhone 3G is sold.
    If you a new AT&T customer, you can get the phone for $200 ($300 16GB) and have to sign up for a 2-year contract... (monthly bills)
    If you are an existing AT&T customer and are not eligible for an upgrade, you can get the phone for $400 ($500 16GB) and have to extend your contract for 2 years.

So, what you want to do is not currently possible...

Hope this helps.

"The forums are not only a place to have questions answered, they are a place to be part of a community..."

Specs:
    Thanks a lot but I do have another question, what if I pay the first amount ($300) then travel back to Cairo and stop paying monthly fees of course, what would happen? Do they ask for passport or something like that when you're buying it?

Specs:
    15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
    First of all that would be illegal...

Second, you need to live in the US and purchase the phone with a credit card...

You may want to look around EBay/internet for a cheap, no contract, iPhone...

"The forums are not only a place to have questions answered, they are a place to be part of a community..."

Specs:
    From all the rumors I heard before, almost every one on eBay scams and there's no refund. So, I guess I'll just buy an unlocked one from here or maybe a BlackBerry Bold 9000 from the guy on this forums.

Thanks a lot for you replies, helped me .

Thread Information