New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Serious iPhone woes!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

SteveJobs

SteveJobs is on a distinguished road

First of all, Hello all I have been a close follower/reader of these message forums for a long time now, but have only just got round to signing up, mainly because there are so much more knowledgeable ppl on here than me my help would be useless lol.

Anyway, I'm hoping some of you guys could help. I bought an iPhone back in March and unlocked/bypassed activation with ZiPhone which worked a treat, and have been using it since with no problems what so ever. That was until last night, when i decided to upgrade it to 2.1 (NOOO). Anyway, 6hrs of trawling the internet and trying numerous things to fix it, im stuck. Originally it was stuck on the apple logo, then the cable ---> Itunes screen. Now ive reset it to 2.1 and it goes to the homepage with no problems but i get NO SERVICE! Ive even tried activating the phone to get it sorted but thats not working (and if i phone O2 to get the sim card registered they will ask how ive been using the phone for so long on PAYG). So basically what I have is an iPod touch, with no phone signal, on firmware 2.1

Ive tried so many tutorials/programs that i actually feel like jumping out the window. If you guys have ANY form of advice i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!!!
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

This happens when you use a baseband higher than the one that came with your firmware.To prevent, update to the latest firmware before unlocking...
This should work also never use ZiPhone.
QUOTE Thanks
SteveJobs

I see,

Well according to my iPhone it now has 2.1 installed, so im assuming i have the latest baseband and firmware, yet im getting the same error? Is it even possible to bypass activation on 2.1?

Thanks again
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJobs View Post
I see,

Well according to my iPhone it now has 2.1 installed, so im assuming i have the latest baseband and firmware, yet im getting the same error? Is it even possible to bypass activation on 2.1?

Thanks again
I am little lost with bypass activation. If you restored with a custom firmware there should be no need for activation or bypassing it.

update I did a google search and think I have found the answer

restore to the normal firmware (not pwned), then restore again to the pwned firmware this should straighten out the baseband issue.
QUOTE Thanks
SteveJobs

Thanks for the help. Do you reckon you could explain how i should go about doing this please?
QUOTE Thanks
takadante

takadante will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.14ghz || 120GB || IPHONE 3G 8GB JBken 4GB RAM || <3

Download WinPwn (if your windows) or PwnageTool (if your OS X), and just follow the on screen instructions of the application.

First, like bargsbeer stated, do a fresh restore through iTunes. Then, run PwnageTool, and it will create the custom Firmware. To apply the firmware, go to iTunes, in your iPhones main page, Hold Shift + Click on Restore (hold Control if on OSX), and browse to the custom firmware you just created.

In some cases, you might get error (6) from iTunes, and that is because your phone is not in DFU mode. Do a googe search on that term if you get into that situation.

Good Luck
QUOTE Thanks
SteveJobs

Thanks!

Gonna get some food and give it a shot, will report back on how it goes
QUOTE Thanks
SteveJobs

Okay, I restored factory settings through iTunes, downloaded and installed WinPwn 2.5 BETA from official site, opened and ran it. Initially it didnt find the ispw, so i dled 2.0.2 from the internet and ran it again. It found it, got to the creating custom ispw part, completed, then at 100% the program closed.

What should i do next?
QUOTE Thanks
SteveJobs

Also according to the help page Winpwn is only good for users running 1.1.4, since im running 2.1 will it work?
QUOTE Thanks
SteveJobs

Okay, ive got my custom 2.0.2 software, but when winpwn tells me to enter DFU mode, i do so, it says congratulations i have sucessfully entered DFU mode then encounters a serious windows error and closes

Edit* Getting error (6) when trying to restore custom ispw through itunes

Edit** Tried restoring custom ispw in recovery mode, now im getting error 1600
QUOTE Thanks
takadante

takadante will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.14ghz || 120GB || IPHONE 3G 8GB JBken 4GB RAM || <3

I have read that people are getting that error in iTunes 8. I am still reading and finding a solution for that. Also, I think you should be downloading OS 2.1, and not 2.0.2?

It seems that the DevTeam's Windows QuickPwn will do all the work for you (you won't have to go through itunes to do the custom restore).

Here is the link. http://blog.iphone-dev.org/
QUOTE Thanks
SteveJobs

I was using 2.0.2 because that was the latest firmware Winpwn would allow. I am dling Quickpwn and will try this new way with 2.1 when I get back from work.

Thx for the help Joseph, will post up my findings later
QUOTE Thanks
SteveJobs

Thx james! Its working fine with my PAYG sim running 2.1, cydia and installer are on and im getting network coverage! Only problem is its asking me to activate it, how do i bypass this? Because i cant get past the emergency --> slide screen until i do Or do i need to put my personal info/credit card details in? Will this mean I will be signing a contract? (which i dont want)

Many thanks
QUOTE Thanks
SteveJobs

Nevermind, its all sorted!

I cannot thank you enough for your help James, you are a true legend! Many thanks dude
QUOTE Thanks
kay123

kay123 is on a distinguished road

if i bypass activation with winpwn can i put in my active pay as you go sim in it
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is the iPhone that great? | So I got the iPhone 3G yesterday »