New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone 3g causes static on speakers

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

SnowmanSimon

SnowmanSimon is on a distinguished road

This is driving me nuts! My computer speakers, tv speakers and the speakers in my truck all have static when my phone is around. There is this random set of beeps that come from the speakers like a pattern, its the same on all of them. Then when I receive a call or text it gets really bad. Anyone have this problem? I can't use anything with speakers when my phone is around and its driving me crazy!
QUOTE Thanks
Noxian

Noxian is a jewel in the roughNoxian is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle

That called GSM buzz, it happens with any GSM transceiver (cell phones), Basically your other electronic devices aren't shielded enough.

The noise you are hearing is exactly why you cant use phones in hospitals.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

All AT&T phones do this. I have noticed that when I am in a 3G zone it doesn't happen.

QUOTE Thanks
cowboys

cowboys is on a distinguished road

This is a problem with ATT, Tmobile, and nextel. They all use 2g gsm for wireless communication. ATT's new 3G does not have this problem. Different frequencies used. The noise occurs when your phone tries to connect to a nearby cellphone tower. Solutions have been posted on the internet from ferrite beads to using anti-static bags. I could not get ferrite bead solution to work but the Anti-Static bags works great. Give it a try. Place you phone on top of it and the RF gets diffused similar to the way charges get diffused to protect sensitive electronic components. If you dont have any bags go to www.stopthebuzzin.com they have them for sale.
QUOTE Thanks
sariggs

sariggs is on a distinguished road

my 3G iPhone does have this problem. just fyi!
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sariggs View Post
my 3G iPhone does have this problem. just fyi!
Yes, it will when you are not in a 3G zone.

QUOTE Thanks
james515

james515 is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Yes, it will when you are not in a 3G zone.
2g or 3g does not matter, if it is a GSM device, it will cause buzzin'
QUOTE Thanks
takadante

takadante will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.14ghz || 120GB || IPHONE 3G 8GB JBken 4GB RAM || <3

Turn on Airplane mode. That gets rid of it. I get the problem on both my 2G and 3G.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Quote:
Originally Posted by james515 View Post
2g or 3g does not matter, if it is a GSM device, it will cause buzzin'
No, as stated above 3G is in a different frequency band and should not cause the GSM buzz buzz. I can tell when my phone drops out of a 3G zone but I get no noise when it is in one.

QUOTE Thanks
fash

fash is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.4 Intel C2D, 4GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephali View Post
Turn on Airplane mode. That gets rid of it. I get the problem on both my 2G and 3G.
as above...
QUOTE Thanks
james515

james515 is an unknown at this point

Quote:
No, as stated above 3G is in a different frequency band and should not cause the GSM buzz buzz. I can tell when my phone drops out of a 3G zone but I get no noise when it is in one.
If the network you are on uses different frequency bands for GSM and 3G then the buzzing may be less noticeable, especially on the 1900 MHz bands, but if your 3G is on the 800 MHz bands it will still have buzzing. Most cities have 3G on 1900 MHz which is a very poor decision because its a much weaker frequency and you need more towers closer together to get the same coverage of half the towers on 800 MHz.

Data (3G) works best in the 800 MHz bands. When the 700mHz bands are used widely data speeds, coverage and in building signal strength will be MUCH better than the 800 MHz.

the iPhone 3g is capable of
UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz) AT&T does not use 2100 MHz.
GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

your device can change frequencies while you are moving or standing still and you can step up or down from 2G to 3G and the buzzing can come and go with these changes. Most towers have dual antennas so they have 800 MHz bands and the 1900 as well.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Quote:
Originally Posted by james515 View Post
If the network you are on uses different frequency bands for GSM and 3G then the buzzing may be less noticeable, especially on the 1900 MHz bands, but if your 3G is on the 800 MHz bands it will still have buzzing. Most cities have 3G on 1900 MHz which is a very poor decision because its a much weaker frequency and you need more towers closer together to get the same coverage of half the towers on 800 MHz.

Data (3G) works best in the 800 MHz bands. When the 700mHz bands are used widely data speeds, coverage and in building signal strength will be MUCH better than the 800 MHz.

the iPhone 3g is capable of
UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz) AT&T does not use 2100 MHz.
GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

your device can change frequencies while you are moving or standing still and you can step up or down from 2G to 3G and the buzzing can come and go with these changes. Most towers have dual antennas so they have 800 MHz bands and the 1900 as well.
The step down to 2G is quite noticeable when it happens if I am anywhere near a set of speakers, including those in my car. It certainly seems that in Southern California (San Diego to Santa Barbara) AT&T is using 2G on 850 and 3G on 1900.

QUOTE Thanks
Dimitri

Dimitri is a jewel in the roughDimitri is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz

Quote:
It certainly seems that in Southern California (San Diego to Santa Barbara) AT&T is using 2G on 850 and 3G on 1900.
Seems that way in the Twin Cities as well. I got GSM buzz frequently with my 1st gen iPhone, but rarely have I heard it with the iPhone 3G (I typically have a 3G connection wherever I am).

Portable DAP: iPod nano 4G 8GB (green)
Headphones: Sennheiser HD485, Sennheiser PX-100W
Computer: Aluminum iMac 24" 2.8GHz
Mobile: iPhone 3G 16GB (black)
QUOTE Thanks
B&O

B&O has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.

Wow my iPhone has never been used on 2G. I am suprised that you guys in the US are not 100% 3G. It has been 3G here for about 4 years.

PS Here is Japan.

MacBook Pro 2.66Ghz i7. Mac Mini 2.26Ghz C2D
iPhone 3G 16GB iPad 3G 64GB
Check out my flickr
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am is a jewel in the roughlifeafter2am is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Unibody

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&O View Post
Wow my iPhone has never been used on 2G. I am suprised that you guys in the US are not 100% 3G. It has been 3G here for about 4 years.

PS Here is Japan.
Are you kidding? Your cellular networks are FAR ahead of ours! lol.

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Zagg Invisible Shield | Help, Password unlock screen not working. »