New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Connecting iPhone to car

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

IJudgeYou

IJudgeYou is on a distinguished road

I am looking to find a way to connect my iPhone to my car.

I don't have an aux jack, so I would rather spend a couple extra bucks and connect my iPhone directly to my radio; that way I could change the songs using my radio and not my phone.

I didn't find anything on the forums, so I was hoping someone could maybe help me out.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

What kind of car do you have (year, make and model)? There are many factory integration kits that hook up to the CD changer port at the back of the stereo (providing that your car has one) and allow you to use the iPod as though it were a factory CD changer (and in some cases, a factory XM radio).

Personally, I use a DICE I-HONDA-R3, which is absolutely awesome (albeit pricey).

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
IJudgeYou

IJudgeYou is on a distinguished road

I have a 2006 Honda Civic.

The DICE I-HONDA-R3 looks quite good.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJudgeYou View Post
I have a 2006 Honda Civic.

The DICE I-HONDA-R3 looks quite good.
I think that will work for you. Another, less expensive option would be to try the USA spec iPod interface. The big difference (at least on my Accord) is that the song title/track information is not displayed on the radio's screen. I like to have this option because I tend to hide my iPod within a pocked in my dashboard to keep it safe from prying eyes.

You can see the USA Spec unit here:

http://www.handaccessories.com/civelec06.html

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Dimitri

Dimitri is a jewel in the roughDimitri is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz

It says it's not compatible with the iPhone or Touch, are they referring to controlling them via the radio?

Portable DAP: iPod nano 4G 8GB (green)
Headphones: Sennheiser HD485, Sennheiser PX-100W
Computer: Aluminum iMac 24" 2.8GHz
Mobile: iPhone 3G 16GB (black)
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
It says it's not compatible with the iPhone or Touch, are they referring to controlling them via the radio?
I think they're referring to connectivity to the device altogether. I forgot that we were talking about an iPhone! I use mine with a 5.5G iPod.

QUOTE Thanks
NickRubino

NickRubino is on a distinguished road

I had the same prob, but I am an audio guy so I bought an Alpine headunit that was iPod ready. Bought the $20 cord that connects to the back of the receiver and then plugs into my iPhone.

I can control everything from my receiver. I get the "This accessory was not created for the iPhone...do you want to switch to airplane mode etc." and I just hit no and it works great. Control through receiver and charges at the same time.

Might be your only option, but IMO its worth it. I listen to the most music in my car. So, to me, its worth it.

8GB iPhone 3G

iBook G4 - 14'', 1.33Ghz, 1.25GB RAM, 60GB HD
QUOTE Thanks
dakineyj

dakineyj will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5

Which phone do you have? Some things that worked with my 8GB 2G don't work with the new 3G. Even the car charger/FM transmitter doesn't work.
QUOTE Thanks
Hogester

Hogester is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.6GHZ, 8Gig iPhone, 160Gig iPod Classic, 16Gig 3G iPhone Black

I have this. Just picked it up from best(worst)buy, because my old ipod car charger that used to work with my 2G iPhone doesnt work with my 3G and i needed a transmitter. It works great with both iPhones, and charges both of them, as well as great transmitting power. The clear scan thing is cool too, and it has 2 programable memory buttons for stations.
QUOTE Thanks
rich6490

rich6490 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm

http://www.pdostore.com/index.cfm?fu...product_ID=471

Best purchase I have ever made, besides my Macbook Pro and iPhone 3G of course.

Zach

-Zach, A.C.T.
QUOTE Thanks
zmckindles

zmckindles is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black Macbook Intel 2 Duo Core.. 120 GB HD.. 3 GB Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich6490 View Post
http://www.pdostore.com/index.cfm?fu...product_ID=471

Best purchase I have ever made, besides my Macbook Pro and iPhone 3G of course.

Zach
Ditto
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Whatever you buy, make sure it is compatable with the 3G specifically. I got one for my Mazda a few months ago which worked fine with my first gen, but for some reason it won't charge my 3G. At least it'll play music but I wish it would charge also.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
Dimitri

Dimitri is a jewel in the roughDimitri is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz

Yeah, since Apple finally nixed the firewire charging pin, a number of chargers no longer work, so be careful.

Portable DAP: iPod nano 4G 8GB (green)
Headphones: Sennheiser HD485, Sennheiser PX-100W
Computer: Aluminum iMac 24" 2.8GHz
Mobile: iPhone 3G 16GB (black)
QUOTE Thanks
DaZ

DaZ is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.8GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, iphone 3G, & Classic ipod

I use an alpine CDA-9883 deck. I bought this deck for my ipod classic and it work great. I am able to browse my selection through the actual deck. There is a cable that is sold separate that connects to the bottom of the ipod or iphone. It also comes satellite and bluetooth ready (bluetooth requires an additional purchase.) The screen is also crystal clear and is very easy to read while driving. I have tested it on my iphone 3g and it plays the music without a problem. It does give an error message and offers to put the iphone in airplane mode, all you have to do is push no and it starts playing your music. If the phone rings the music stops and the ringer starts to play on your speakers. The only set back is it does not charge the phone like it does my ipod classic. If this is a problem, I would look into a new alpine deck that will charge the 3g. I was told that alpine works with apple to produce these products. I don't care much for fm transmitters because the music fades in and out.
best of luck!

-Daz
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am is a jewel in the roughlifeafter2am is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Unibody

I also use an Alpine deck, the iDA-X100. Works perfectly and connects via a USB cable (included). I don't have an iPhone, but my friend does, and he has connected his iPhone to my deck a couple times and it worked (and charged) perfectly.

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Bulk iPhones? | iPhone 3G Build quality issues »