iPhone 3G silent switch broken
    My switch broke today. Been really careful with it and have the phone in a silicon sleeve. Is this a warranty item? looks like just the chrome end came off.

Specs:
    15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
    I would believe that this would be covered under warranty...

"The forums are not only a place to have questions answered, they are a place to be part of a community..."

Yes, just came from the Apple store, covered by warranty.

Specs:
    macbook pro 13 inch, ipad 2 wifi and 3g 32g, iphone 5 black 32GB, ipod nano 4gb, ipod nano 8g
    Cool
    would you believe i didn't know the phone had a silent switch? i've been trawling this site for weeks wondering if anyone had a problem like mine...no sound on apps! SOOOOO grateful to discover the silent switch was on! everything works perfectly again. saved me a visit to the genius bar. thank you!

Unhappy
    Did the function of your switch break or did the switch physically break off. Today I turned mine on silent and the switch broke off. I checked to ensure warranty, and the dude at the store said that while my phone is covered by warranty, they do not cover phsyical damage. Thanks for the reply

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
    Quote Originally Posted by stangaddict08 View Post
    Did the function of your switch break or did the switch physically break off. Today I turned mine on silent and the switch broke off. I checked to ensure warranty, and the dude at the store said that while my phone is covered by warranty, they do not cover phsyical damage. Thanks for the reply
    They many not cover physical damage but they do cover physical defects.

Mine broke today and I had to fight with them for nearly 30 minutes. They finally told me to come back tomorrow because they were out of the black 16 gb.

Absolute filth. I have given almost $10k to apple in the last 5 years and they are arrogant enough to claim that somehow I managed to break this tiny switch?

Even after they fix this they have lost me as a customer.

Quote Originally Posted by ffonsok View Post
    Mine broke today and I had to fight with them for nearly 30 minutes. They finally told me to come back tomorrow because they were out of the black 16 gb.

Absolute filth. I have given almost $10k to apple in the last 5 years and they are arrogant enough to claim that somehow I managed to break this tiny switch?

Even after they fix this they have lost me as a customer.
    So you got a new iPhone since the switch broke off? I'll see what the "Genius" bar says at the store.

Quote Originally Posted by stangaddict08 View Post
    So you got a new iPhone since the switch broke off? I'll see what the "Genius" bar says at the store.
    No, they said they would give me a new one. I sure as **** am not going to buy a new one.

Still, they made me feel like I did something wrong and argued with me for 30 minutes. It was only when I started making a scene in the store did they agree to replace it.

The woman goes "well, I haven't seen this happen before, so I'm not sure it's a warranty issue"

Specs:
    uMBP 2.66/4GB/320GB; iMac 2.66Ghz/4GB/320GB; Apple TV; Black iPhone 3G 16GB
    I've gone into one store and had to fight like crazy to get something fixed, and gone to another store and not had to lift a finger... it really depends on the store and the person you're dealing with.

I'm a firm believer in Applecare (800-APL-CARE)--dealing w/ the store you're at the mercy of someone's ego.

Talking Software solution to fix silent switch
    For those whose iPhone warranty is expired like mine or genius wont fix it, use Auto Silent app. It worked like a charm. love it love it love it. It's only available on Cydia now.

Thread Information