New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone 3G silent switch broken

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

slinger

slinger is on a distinguished road

My switch broke today. Been really careful with it and have the phone in a silicon sleeve. Is this a warranty item? looks like just the chrome end came off.
QUOTE Thanks
NPuter

NPuter is a jewel in the roughNPuter is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP

I would believe that this would be covered under warranty...

"The forums are not only a place to have questions answered, they are a place to be part of a community..."
QUOTE Thanks
slinger

slinger is on a distinguished road

Yes, just came from the Apple store, covered by warranty.
QUOTE Thanks
Starzz

Starzz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook pro 13 inch, ipad 2 wifi and 3g 32g, iphone 5 black 32GB, ipod nano 4gb, ipod nano 8g

would you believe i didn't know the phone had a silent switch? i've been trawling this site for weeks wondering if anyone had a problem like mine...no sound on apps! SOOOOO grateful to discover the silent switch was on! everything works perfectly again. saved me a visit to the genius bar. thank you!
QUOTE Thanks
stangaddict08

stangaddict08 is on a distinguished road

Did the function of your switch break or did the switch physically break off. Today I turned mine on silent and the switch broke off. I checked to ensure warranty, and the dude at the store said that while my phone is covered by warranty, they do not cover phsyical damage. Thanks for the reply
QUOTE Thanks
Noxian

Noxian is a jewel in the roughNoxian is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaddict08 View Post
Did the function of your switch break or did the switch physically break off. Today I turned mine on silent and the switch broke off. I checked to ensure warranty, and the dude at the store said that while my phone is covered by warranty, they do not cover phsyical damage. Thanks for the reply
They many not cover physical damage but they do cover physical defects.
QUOTE Thanks
ffonsok

ffonsok is on a distinguished road

Mine broke today and I had to fight with them for nearly 30 minutes. They finally told me to come back tomorrow because they were out of the black 16 gb.

Absolute filth. I have given almost $10k to apple in the last 5 years and they are arrogant enough to claim that somehow I managed to break this tiny switch?

Even after they fix this they have lost me as a customer.
QUOTE Thanks
stangaddict08

stangaddict08 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffonsok View Post
Mine broke today and I had to fight with them for nearly 30 minutes. They finally told me to come back tomorrow because they were out of the black 16 gb.

Absolute filth. I have given almost $10k to apple in the last 5 years and they are arrogant enough to claim that somehow I managed to break this tiny switch?

Even after they fix this they have lost me as a customer.
So you got a new iPhone since the switch broke off? I'll see what the "Genius" bar says at the store.
QUOTE Thanks
ffonsok

ffonsok is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaddict08 View Post
So you got a new iPhone since the switch broke off? I'll see what the "Genius" bar says at the store.
No, they said they would give me a new one. I sure as **** am not going to buy a new one.

Still, they made me feel like I did something wrong and argued with me for 30 minutes. It was only when I started making a scene in the store did they agree to replace it.

The woman goes "well, I haven't seen this happen before, so I'm not sure it's a warranty issue"
QUOTE Thanks
JuanGuapo

JuanGuapo is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: uMBP 2.66/4GB/320GB; iMac 2.66Ghz/4GB/320GB; Apple TV; Black iPhone 3G 16GB

I've gone into one store and had to fight like crazy to get something fixed, and gone to another store and not had to lift a finger... it really depends on the store and the person you're dealing with.

I'm a firm believer in Applecare (800-APL-CARE)--dealing w/ the store you're at the mercy of someone's ego.
QUOTE Thanks
pPierra

pPierra is on a distinguished road

For those whose iPhone warranty is expired like mine or genius wont fix it, use Auto Silent app. It worked like a charm. love it love it love it. It's only available on Cydia now.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« www.twitchcase.com | 2g iphone, at&t doesn't care? »