New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

How to fix GPS issues in 2.0.1

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mark W

Mark W is on a distinguished road

A few people have mentioned that they are having issues with GPS after updating to 2.0.1 - here is a temporary fix until 2.0.2 comes out:

1) Disable 3G
2) Turn your iPhone off and on again
3) Turn it back on again
4) Open up Maps and hit the button
5) Turn 3G back on again

I'm not sure if this will need to be done every time (I haven't had a chance to extensively test) and I'm not 100% sure on why it works but it does; but until 2.0.2 comes out to fix this issue (it worked fine in 2.0.0) I thought this might be a useful tip
QUOTE Thanks
s.s.

s.s. is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24" Alu, Time Capsule, iPhone

well, I've tried the gps the way you described it, only, it appears that it has to be done every time; when 3G is enabled, gps will not show my location
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I haven't had to do that and my GPS works just fine

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Mine works fine too. Never seen this problem. In fact, I discovered that my iPhone GPS lags a bit less than my TomTom GPS unit does.

QUOTE Thanks
s.s.

mine doesn't
QUOTE Thanks
Mark W

A lot of people were reporting this issue on the O2 customer forums - doing this just once appears to fix it for those experiencing it.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Sounds like maybe it's an O2 thing then.

QUOTE Thanks
NPuter

NPuter is a jewel in the roughNPuter is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Sounds like maybe it's an O2 thing then.
I don't think so...

I have had GPS issues since upgrading to 2.0.1... Sometimes when I press the locate button on google maps, it just stays spinning and nothing happens... Restarting does not even fix it...

In order to get it working again, I have to turn off 3G and location services, restart, and then turn back on 3G and location services...

This has only happened to me two time though, so I am not that worried about it...

"The forums are not only a place to have questions answered, they are a place to be part of a community..."
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPuter View Post
I
I have had GPS issues since upgrading to 2.0.1... Sometimes when I press the locate button on google maps, it just stays spinning and nothing happens... Restarting does not even fix it...
I've had that happen, but it was because I was inside of a building. GPS has to be able to see the satellites to get a fix. It's never happened outside. I'll get the spinning circle and depending if I am on my wireless network or the AT&T network it will only give me a "best guess" location for where I am.

QUOTE Thanks
s.s.

I've tried gps again, but now outdoors, and it found my location pretty accurate and within a minute of search
so to conclude, gps will only work (in my case) only outdoors, not indoors
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

GPS in general doesn't work indoors. It's not like cell service that is supposed to work everywhere. The GPS receiver has to be able to see the satellites, if it can't you get no signal, period. My TomTom GPS unit doesn't work in my garage or my house either. Once I take it outside it works fine.

It's not you or your phone, it's just how the current GPS system is.

QUOTE Thanks
Mark W

My iPhone's GPS works indoors...
QUOTE Thanks
s.s.

lucky you
QUOTE Thanks
Mark W

Well if I'm not mistaken, doesn't it use detect your present by drawing sort-of "invisible spheres" around 3 GPS satellites and their point of intersection is where you are? Which would not mean needing to "see" you per se?
(I'm by no means an expert that was a genuine question)
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

It uses cell phone triangulation to get a rough estimate of where you are, and then uses the GPS satellite to get a final lock on your position.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Syncing Issues? | iPhone 3G Battery Life »