New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Apple warrany cover dropped iPhone?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

icapture

icapture is on a distinguished road

Its still under its one year warranty. Screen is fine physically, but half of it wont work, only the top half will recognize touch. Its been dropped a few times, but nothing substantial. Apple cant void out a phone cause its been dropped can they? I mean, everyone drops their phone.
QUOTE Thanks
hexonxonx

hexonxonx will become famous soon enough

No it won't be covered if it shows dents or or other damage in the case.

20" iMac aluminum
13" MBP
3 iPhones
QUOTE Thanks
icapture

icapture is on a distinguished road

sucks for me. Well, time to put on the charm and a smile and see how far I can get at the Apple Store.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I was reading somewhere that you might be better off trying to get a replacement over the phone. Apple sends you a loaner phone and you send out your phone for repair/replacement. If you don't happen to have any noticeable damage on the outside, you could very well get a replacement phone.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
baxterco

baxterco is on a distinguished road

I too am one of those knuckle heads that stood in line for 4 hours to be one of the first million that weekend to get the new 3g iPhone. Only to drop it 2 weeks later. It fell about 1.5 feet (one of the shortest drops I have put a cell phone through) it fell face down and when I picked it up the glass screen was shattered.
long and the short I had to buy a new one for 200 bucks.

lesson:
buy a case -
don't drop it-

http://www.rescg.com/Broken_iPhone_3g_Glass.html
QUOTE Thanks
goosemac

goosemac is on a distinguished road

How did you get another one for $200?
QUOTE Thanks
Waterpolo820

Waterpolo820 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell

check with your credit card company. Cause I know that Amex covers accedential damage for the first 90 days. Along with extending the warranty by one year. That is your best bet

"In a world full of ordinaries,
I will be extraordinary"
QUOTE Thanks
baxterco

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosemac View Post
How did you get another one for $200?
That is what the mac genius behind the counter said.
it was 199 plus tax (I had to give him my damaged one)
I figured it was cheaper and easier than trying to monkey around with fixing it.
given that glass with the digitizer is 180 bucks. I have since seen replacement glass only for the 3g on ebay for $30 from some guy in hong knog (not sure about that) after reading how to replace it - I think the $200 was a deal.

I handed in my old iphone 3g and paid $200 and got a replacement one right then and there.

I got a case and a screen protector (I really like the screen protector also helps with oily finger prints)

I called my credit card co (chase visa) and they told me that accidental drops are not covered - if I file a police report that it was stole or damaged in a fight, fire or flood that would be covered.

word to the wise buy your iphone with an amex card and get a case

oh yeah don't drop the thing
QUOTE Thanks
baxterco

for those who care.
this picture was take with my new iphone of my old iphone standing at the genius bar at the apple store in fashion valley.

that was how fast they got me the new one.

my wife went nuts on the poor mac genius when she found out they were charging me $200 for the replacement iphone

none the less i got it and will not be planning on dropping it any time soon.
QUOTE Thanks
scooter

scooter has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxterco View Post
my wife went nuts on the poor mac genius when she found out they were charging me $200 for the replacement iphone
You wife went nuts in a good or bad way? She didn't expect Apple to do it for free, did she? That would be nuts.

I have dropped mine a few times but so far have been lucky. (knock on wood) I only have one of the Agent18 cases on it.

From a G4 400MHz to an Intel Mac Mini to iMac Core Duo to a Macbook Pro 2.6GHz.............gotta love Apple!
QUOTE Thanks
baxterco

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
You wife went nuts in a good or bad way? She didn't expect Apple to do it for free, did she? That would be nuts.

I have dropped mine a few times but so far have been lucky. (knock on wood) I only have one of the Agent18 cases on it.
I think that would depend on what side of the counter you were on =)

She did not like the fact that I had just spent $200 bucks on an iPhone and 2 weeks later I was spending another $200 bucks on an iPhone.

Her point that she was arguing is that - it is a cell phone and people drop cell phones. a cell phone should be able to withstand a drop and not shatter. Then she was ticked because nobody (at the time - I know you can get after market ins now.) would cover it - being apple or at&t.

so, kinda a bad nuts -

yes - she thought they should replace it for free -
we both think apple needs a Plexiglas option for guys that suffer from butterfingers.

at the end of the day I was happy I got a new iphone and did not have to pay the $500 (or what ever it is) for a new one with out a plan.
QUOTE Thanks
goosemac

so my wife had her iphone stolen last week and I am being told by Apple and AT&T that I am pretty much screwed. I have to buy one for $500 and there is nothing they can do. Any advice or help with this one guys?
QUOTE Thanks
baxterco

file a police report with in 48 hours and call your credit card company.
they will want to see a police report that was file within 48 hours of the incident. Most credit cards will cover it.
QUOTE Thanks
goosemac

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxterco View Post
file a police report with in 48 hours and call your credit card company.
they will want to see a police report that was file within 48 hours of the incident. Most credit cards will cover it.
I paid with a debit card
QUOTE Thanks
baxterco

i would still call and ask -
does your card have the visa/mc logo on it?
if so a lot of the same rules may apply.

just make sure you have your police report - a simple phone call to you local police or sheriff should be all you need.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« application help | Bluetooth iPhone Car Stereo »