Thread: GPS locator

GPS locator
    pressing the locator button on my iphone doesn't seem to work. anyone got any suggestions? I've switch on the location function but nothing appears to be happening.
    have i missed something obvious?

now working

clear view
    not to state the obvious.... but GPS signals use line of site. so make sure you have a clear view of the sky, no trees or anything. even a large building could block some of the sky. It also might take a while to get some satellites. i was told it is a "true" GPS antenna, but i'm not sure if it will acquire sats. or not. My Garmin 296 (aviation GPS) can take up to 5 min to get 6 sats. so just give it a second or 3...

well, that's my 2 cents...

Anytown, USA
    27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad
    Funny story about GPS. I didn't know that you need line of sight for them to work. I went into the Apple store and tried to hit the locate, but it wouldn't find me. (Now, it probably should have via cell signals, but that's not important to the story.) So I ask a guy working there why it won't work. He said that the phone is brand new, so it doesn't have any "memory" of GPS connection to work off of, and that's why it wouldn't work.

GPS memory??? What a crock!! It's amazing how these salespeople will try to BS their way through something they don't understand at all. What ever happened to, "I don't know, but I'll ask."? I'll never seek answers from someone in a store ever again!
    "Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"

MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm
    I have a 550 dollar Garmin gps, and it gets no signal inside, it needs a clear view of the sky no matter what. My iPhone 3G gets signal fine in my house and narrows GPS to about 30ft +/- which is excellent. While there are less software features integrated with the GPS right now, the hardware is definitely there.
    -Zach, A.C.T.

Thread Information