New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

No Signal Bars When On 3G

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

shiffty1032231

shiffty1032231 is on a distinguished road

There are no signal bars when I turn my new iphone to 3g under network in the settings. I turned off 3g and I get the full signal bars. What is the problem and how can I fix this?
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Do you live in a 3G area?
QUOTE Thanks
Noxian

Noxian is a jewel in the roughNoxian is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle

This sounds like something that is going to come up alot, 3G isn't available everywhere the iPhone is sold unfortunately.
QUOTE Thanks
shiffty1032231

shiffty1032231 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric559 View Post
Do you live in a 3G area?
I do. My sister got the phone as well and her 3g works. I live in the 16th largest city in the country with a metro area of 1.5 million.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

If it's anything like Verizon's EVDO network, you generally won't get signal bars - it's either on or its off. There is no half-way in between. At least that's how my phone works.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
NPuter

NPuter is a jewel in the roughNPuter is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP

Apple's website shows the phone with signal bars when the 3G icon is there...

"The forums are not only a place to have questions answered, they are a place to be part of a community..."
QUOTE Thanks
jrichard012

jrichard012 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP and iMac; 2 iPhones 4G; 2 iPADS.

I live in a prominent 3G area in Orange County, CA. I have noticed the same thing. I just now turned off my 3G and low and behold, I get 5 bars. I don't think this has any relation to my linking with our WiFi home network.

Another thing. I went to a Starbucks yesterday to see how that worked. An icon showed up, but when I tried to activate, it would not load anything. Then, I went to iTunes and there was a message that told me that iTunes could only be accessed through WiFi. I was inside the Starbucks and using their service at the time.
QUOTE Thanks
hexonxonx

hexonxonx will become famous soon enough

AT&Ts 3G service is very spotty for most people. I can go two blocks away and get 5 bars on 3G and yet at my home. I get no 3G in my home, 2 bars in my yard. I can go in a back bedroom upstairs and get one bar under 3G.

If you see the 3G logo on your iPhone, you are getting 3G regardless if it is one bar or 5. Of course 5 bars is much better than one.

20" iMac aluminum
13" MBP
3 iPhones
QUOTE Thanks
wcarr3

wcarr3 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP, 13.3" || iMac 20" 2.16 GHz C2D, 250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, || 32GB i-Phone 4 || 32GB AT&T 3G iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexonxonx View Post
AT&Ts 3G service is very spotty for most people. I can go two blocks away and get 5 bars on 3G and yet at my home. I get no 3G in my home, 2 bars in my yard. I can go in a back bedroom upstairs and get one bar under 3G.

If you see the 3G logo on your iPhone, you are getting 3G regardless if it is one bar or 5. Of course 5 bars is much better than one.
Yeah, you are right about that. I have no 3G in immediate (Washington D.C. suburb) area yet. And the Edge service is spotty depending on the time of day and where I am located in my house. Crazy stuff.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhone Activation & Number Transfer Question | iPhone mail problem...connecting??? »