New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Broken 3g iPhone Glass... already :(

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Bunny771

Bunny771 is on a distinguished road

ive searched everywhere and no one is as stupid as me to begin with. i might be one of the first people to crack the glass on the 3g iphone. im trying to find a way to replace it myself but it does not look hopeful yet. i was wondering if anyone knows if the replacement glass for first gen iphone will work with the 3g? here is a picture of my iphone any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01323.JPG (685.1 KB, 141 views)
QUOTE Thanks
wino_ii

wino_ii is on a distinguished road

ouch. how'd you do that? trust me, with all the idiots I saw (as driving by) sitting in line over night for a phone, im sure you're not the first to do it.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

I hear you can really mess up the accelerometer if you take off the glass. I wouldn't try it yourself.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
Bunny771

i keep my phone on my lap when i drive, and i stopped to meet a friend and i stepped out of my car and it smashed on the ground screen first. i drive a jeep so it was a pretty high dive.
QUOTE Thanks
Bunny771

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryphotoguy View Post
I hear you can really mess up the accelerometer if you take off the glass. I wouldn't try it yourself.
how does this occur?
QUOTE Thanks
wino_ii

wino_ii is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny771 View Post
i keep my phone on my lap when i drive, and i stopped to meet a friend and i stepped out of my car and it smashed on the ground screen first. i drive a jeep so it was a pretty high dive.
makes sense.

-Jeep owner
QUOTE Thanks
idsamdg

idsamdg is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: imac, macbook, iphone4S, ipad2

I have no idea how to fix it - but I feel for ya man - that sucks big time. Good luck with it though.
QUOTE Thanks
Lanikaigirl

Lanikaigirl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
ive searched everywhere and no one is as stupid as me to begin with. i might be one of the first people to crack the glass on the 3g iphone. im trying to find a way to replace it myself but it does not look hopeful yet. i was wondering if anyone knows if the replacement glass for first gen iphone will work with the 3g? here is a picture of my iphone any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
If you purchased it with a credit card, chances are you are covered. Most credit card companies offer 90 days protection against theft and accidental damage. Check to see if yours does.
QUOTE Thanks
Noxian

Noxian is a jewel in the roughNoxian is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle

Quote:
Going to have to make notes to not do this in my jeep , or drive around with the doors off with it sitting on the passenger seat like I did with my wallet 2 weeks ago
QUOTE Thanks
dakineyj

dakineyj will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5

Yes, I had to stop using the tires as shelf to set things on. I suck when you forget something on there...
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice

Quote:
how does this occur?
No clue. I don't know how these things work. I won't assume that this is any old piece of glass covering the screen.

Engadget- According to the link for the site that sells the replacement screen and digitizer, they do not work on the 3G version.

QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

PunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone

I don't know if original iphone screens will work on the 3g, i would assume so since they are the same size and everything.

you can find one for sale here: http://cnn.cn/shop/apple-iphone-comp...er-p-1863.html

ive never bought from there so i cant say how reputable they are, but its just a thought. You might call apple and say something along the lines of, "if the glass were to break, how would I get it fixed?" and see what they say.
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

You and iPhone 3G...I guess it's just not ment to be...

QUOTE Thanks
Bunny771

Well see, i already took it apart with help from the disassembly guide, and the lcd detaches from glass, so i bought a iphone first gen glass replacement from ebay. My plan is to heat the sucker up and peel away the glass shards and hopefully it will be the same size. the only thing i worry about at this point is right beside the ear part there are 3 blue dots, they could be some type of light sensors. if so then im pretty much screwed in that department. any one know what these 3 dots are?
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

Probably the ambient light sensor.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhone 3g problem. Phone or service? | iPhone Dropped with no physical damage, but... »