New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone anti-theft options

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kmkl

kmkl is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD

So, I am looking into finally purchasing a new iPhone, and will probably make the buy this either in the next two weeks, or by the time summer ends.

When summer ends I am starting second year high school (Gr. 10) and am looking for antitheft tips/options for my potential new iPhone.
Why? Well, it is High School, and there are plenty immature idiots and jerks that have no respect for other peoples valuable and feelings.
I actually had my iPod video stolen during Gym class, when my iPod was most vulnerable. I was quite ticked off/ saddened by this and have been without my music on the go for about 3 or 4 months.

This school year, I am not taking gym (sadly) so I have no reason to take the iPhone out of my pocket.

Now lets get something out of the way first.
I am not a stupid, reckless teenager, who does not take care of their belongings. So what I am asking you is to take age out of the equation.

So I'm wondering what are my choices for protecting my iPhone from idiots' hands. What would you recommend?
Is there maybe some kind of app (present or in future production) that would allow me to retrieve/ know the location of the stolen iPhone considering the new model has GPS. Or would this not be possible due to some restrictions on the apps developed by the SDK.

Would be a shame to lose the new iPhone which costs MONEY.

So yeah, Suggest away!

Thanks!!!

Extra Info:
Am living in Canada, so provider will be Rogers. (but I don't think they have some kind of hardware retrieval option)

tldr:
Looking for a way to protect an iPhone from theft, and if it gets stolen to retrieve it?
QUOTE Thanks
A15P

A15P is on a distinguished road

Well if you said you are not taking gym class and you have no reason to take it out of your pocket.......... I believe you have answered your own question. There is not some magic solution to not get something stolen, or nothing would ever be stolen. Just be smart.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

If you keep your iPhone on you or very close at hand at all times, then you really have nothing to worry about. Then again, there's really not much you can do to secure an iPhone except be really diligent about it.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
takadante

takadante will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.14ghz || 120GB || IPHONE 3G 8GB JBken 4GB RAM || <3

In the case that your iPhone WAS stolen, it might be covered by your home insurance if you have the policy which covers stolen/damaged electronics.

Check your Insurance company for more info
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

If you've had something stolen once, I wouldn't go put yourself in the same situation. My suggestion- don't buy it. Or don't take your phone to school. Or leave in your locker when class is in session and only grab it at the end of the day.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
NPuter

NPuter is a jewel in the roughNPuter is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryphotoguy View Post
If you've had something stolen once, I wouldn't go put yourself in the same situation. My suggestion- don't buy it. Or don't take your phone to school. Or leave in your locker when class is in session and only grab it at the end of the day.
I would vote for leaving it in your locker if you are really that worried...

Do you really use your phone during the school day...

"The forums are not only a place to have questions answered, they are a place to be part of a community..."
QUOTE Thanks
takadante

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPuter View Post
I would vote for leaving it in your locker if you are really that worried...

Do you really use your phone during the school day...
I sure as **** do. That might be why i got a 2.8 GPA, but I never missed any emails, and Super Monkey Ball is a lot funner than listening to my bipolar english teacher. =]
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

skaheadpunk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephali View Post
bipolar english teacher.
That was a little insensitive.

Sort of somehow chaining it to your person I'd just keep your eye on the thing.
QUOTE Thanks
Sobe

Sobe will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" 2.8ghz Macbook Pro, 32GB iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaheadpunk View Post
That was a little insensitive.

Sort of somehow chaining it to your person I'd just keep your eye on the thing.

Maybe he receives bipolar grades as well

I don't support candidates that will say anything to be elected, and avoid answering questions like the plague.
QUOTE Thanks
takadante

hmmm it was a joke. thats why there was a =] there....

relax a bit k thx
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephali View Post
hmmm it was a joke. thats why there was a =] there....

relax a bit k thx
Being bipolar myself I just find it rather offensive when it's used as a derogatory term. It was also completely irrelevant and not at all funny.

So please don't patronise me.

Now this was a much better joke:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobe View Post
Maybe he receives bipolar grades as well
If you're going to do it at least try to make it funny.
QUOTE Thanks
Mark W

Mark W is on a distinguished road

kmkl, does AT&T offer insurance? Here in the UK, O2 offers insurance for £7.50 a month which is just added onto your contract cost; this might be something worth looking in to. If not, perhaps your home insurance covers it? You say you're in high school so check with your parents if their insurance policy covers it.
I did a search for an app, and this came up: http://thinkabdul.com/2008/02/23/iph...n-via-twitter/ - I've not used it personally, but worth a read.

skaheadpunk, I'm sure it wasn't meant to be offensive and I'm sure you must know that most people have very little knowledge of what mental health conditions actually mean, so just take it in your stride
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

Indeed, I need to chill it.

My phone's covered on my contents insurance too, is it different in America?
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

The AT&T site says that if your iPhone is broken, you must take it back to Apple for warranty service. I also see no where that I can add insurance for my iPhone on my ATT&T account.

How do I replace a broken iPhone?

Question:
How do I replace a broken iPhone?
What do I do if my iPhone is damaged?
What is my iPhone warranty?
How can I return an iPhone?
Answer:
If your iPhone is broken or damaged, here are the options for replacing it:
If you believe your iPhone is damaged, you may be eligible for warranty or repair service. Please visit Apple Support for assistance.
If you have had your iPhone for 14 days or less and wish to return it, please visit the following topic to review the return policy covering iPhone equipment returns and service cancellation: What is AT&T's return policy?
Note: Apple Branded Equipment is covered by a 14-day return policy and must be returned based on the original point of purchase. AT&T stores will only accept returns of Apple Branded Equipment if the items were purchased at an AT&T store, web site, or kiosk location. AT&T will not accept returns for items purchased at Apple stores or at Apple.com. If the Apple branded equipment is returned unopened and in the original shrink wrapping, it will be refunded back to the original payment method. Opened Apple branded equipment that is returned within 14 days will be subject to a 10% open box restocking fee. All products must be packed in their original, unmarked packaging including any accessories and manuals that shipped with the product.

QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

Maybe they don't offer it... might be worth a call to ask though.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Looking for Bluetooth Device and iPhone 3G Case Recommendations | Sometimes I hate technology »